IIS hangs ASP - tried IISState - help

rjb

Hi there

I've a server which hosts couple of hundreds sites. From time to time I
can't
access some of the websites, all of them are ASP. HTML ones are fine.

I've tried to use iisstate, but I can't seen any errors in the log, not even
a warning.
Also, there is nothing in the Event Viewer. The server is 2003 standard.

If I will restart IIS service, all is back to normal.

I know this doesn't say much, but do you have any ideas where should I go
from here?

Thanks,
rjb

Microsoft News

It sounds like you have at least one site who has a threading issue,
possibly something blocking that causes it to fail

There's also a possiblity the server is just overloaded, but most likely
something is blocking.

You need to bring up perfmon and add asp currently executing and asp threads
pooled - you'll most likely find pooled threads when this happens.

By threading / blocking, take for example you fetch a url from another site
and that other site is down / slow - That timeout may be 30 seconds - Now
all the sudden it takes 30 seconds for your asp page to finish, even if it
ONLY calls the component and outputs the results. However after a few start
executing you are blocked and other asp requests queue.

There's various tuning you can do, but you probably need to find the problem
instead of work around it.

Steve Radich
BitShop, Inc. - http://www.bitshop.com - NT Hosting Since 1995