IIS Like Error using Perl Active State w/ SQL Server or MySQL

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by jr_dunson@yahoo.com, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hey,
    I've run into an error with the IIS Server on my PC when using Perl
    ActiveState

    - I'm running the following select statement:

    <code>
    SELECT form_table.fname,
    form_table.title,
    form_table.txt,
    form_rec.form_url,
    form_rec.form_type
    FROM form_table, form_rec
    WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    and form_table.fname LIKE '%bb%'
    </code>
    - The statment works within SQL Server (Query analyzer)
    - It works in MySQL using the Query browser
    - It also works most of the timewith a Perl CGI, if I use a variable:

    <code>
    SELECT form_table.fname,
    form_table.title,
    form_table.txt,
    form_rec.form_url,
    form_rec.form_type
    FROM form_table, form_rec
    WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    and form_table.fname LIKE '%$fname%'
    </code>

    HOWEVER, if I run a perl script where the $fname variable is set to the
    letter 'a', it bombs, whether I'm in SQL Server OR MySQL.

    -- When I use a .cgi script to pass in a variable...and just pass in
    the letter a, it bombs:

    - Here is the statment with the a:

    <code>
    SELECT form_table.fname,
    form_table.title,
    form_table.txt,
    form_rec.form_url,
    form_rec.form_type
    FROM form_table, form_rec
    WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    and form_table.fname LIKE '%a%'
    </code>

    - Has anyone used Perl ActiveState...and run into this?
    - Is the letter a an IIS reserved word? an ignored word? why does the
    statement bomb?
    , Apr 28, 2006

  2. Brian Wakem Guest

    wrote:

    > Hey,
    > I've run into an error with the IIS Server on my PC when using Perl
    > ActiveState
    >
    > - I'm running the following select statement:
    >
    > <code>
    > SELECT form_table.fname,
    > form_table.title,
    > form_table.txt,
    > form_rec.form_url,
    > form_rec.form_type
    > FROM form_table, form_rec
    > WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    > and form_table.fname LIKE '%bb%'
    > </code>
    > - The statment works within SQL Server (Query analyzer)
    > - It works in MySQL using the Query browser
    > - It also works most of the timewith a Perl CGI, if I use a variable:
    >
    > <code>
    > SELECT form_table.fname,
    > form_table.title,
    > form_table.txt,
    > form_rec.form_url,
    > form_rec.form_type
    > FROM form_table, form_rec
    > WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    > and form_table.fname LIKE '%$fname%'
    > </code>
    >
    > HOWEVER, if I run a perl script where the $fname variable is set to the
    > letter 'a', it bombs, whether I'm in SQL Server OR MySQL.
    >
    > -- When I use a .cgi script to pass in a variable...and just pass in
    > the letter a, it bombs:
    >
    > - Here is the statment with the a:
    >
    > <code>
    > SELECT form_table.fname,
    > form_table.title,
    > form_table.txt,
    > form_rec.form_url,
    > form_rec.form_type
    > FROM form_table, form_rec
    > WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    > and form_table.fname LIKE '%a%'
    > </code>
    >
    > - Has anyone used Perl ActiveState...and run into this?
    > - Is the letter a an IIS reserved word? an ignored word? why does the
    > statement bomb?

    1) Post the actual perl code that contains the SQL query.
    2) 'bomb' is the worst error description I've read today. Does your
    computer actually explode? I doubt it. What really happens.

    --
    Brian Wakem
    Brian Wakem, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Matt Garrish Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    > I've run into an error with the IIS Server on my PC when using Perl
    > ActiveState
    >
    > - I'm running the following select statement:
    >
    > <code>
    > SELECT form_table.fname,
    > form_table.title,
    > form_table.txt,
    > form_rec.form_url,
    > form_rec.form_type
    > FROM form_table, form_rec
    > WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
    > and form_table.fname LIKE '%bb%'
    > </code>
    > - The statment works within SQL Server (Query analyzer)
    > - It works in MySQL using the Query browser
    > - It also works most of the timewith a Perl CGI, if I use a variable:
    >

    > HOWEVER, if I run a perl script where the $fname variable is set to the
    > letter 'a', it bombs, whether I'm in SQL Server OR MySQL.

    What is fname? Is the letter a in this field very common? Are there a lot of
    entries? Are you perhaps running out of time processing the results or
    perhaps running out of memory?

    I have seen CGIs crash because of the number of warnings generated from a
    huge result set, when the script would otherwise appear to run on smaller
    ones (i.e., not checking for unintialized values and having the thousands of
    warnings generated crash the logging).

    I would suggest you post some real code, and maybe people here might be able
    to give you better advice. We can't guess any better than you from a single
    sql statement what's wrong.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Apr 28, 2006
  4. Brian Wakem <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    >> why does the
    >> statement bomb?

    > 2) 'bomb' is the worst error description I've read today.

    I think it means it is really cool, as in "this dress is the bomb".

    That's the impression I get from listening to my teenage
    daughter anyway...

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming