IIS Like Error using Perl Active State w/ SQL Server or MySQL

jr_dunson

Hey,
I've run into an error with the IIS Server on my PC when using Perl
ActiveState

- I'm running the following select statement:

<code>
SELECT form_table.fname,
form_table.title,
form_table.txt,
form_rec.form_url,
form_rec.form_type
FROM form_table, form_rec
WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
and form_table.fname LIKE '%bb%'
</code>
- The statment works within SQL Server (Query analyzer)
- It works in MySQL using the Query browser
- It also works most of the timewith a Perl CGI, if I use a variable:

<code>
SELECT form_table.fname,
form_table.title,
form_table.txt,
form_rec.form_url,
form_rec.form_type
FROM form_table, form_rec
WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
and form_table.fname LIKE '%$fname%'
</code>

HOWEVER, if I run a perl script where the $fname variable is set to the
letter 'a', it bombs, whether I'm in SQL Server OR MySQL.

-- When I use a .cgi script to pass in a variable...and just pass in
the letter a, it bombs:

- Here is the statment with the a:

<code>
SELECT form_table.fname,
form_table.title,
form_table.txt,
form_rec.form_url,
form_rec.form_type
FROM form_table, form_rec
WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
and form_table.fname LIKE '%a%'
</code>

- Has anyone used Perl ActiveState...and run into this?
- Is the letter a an IIS reserved word? an ignored word? why does the
statement bomb?

Brian Wakem

[...]

1) Post the actual perl code that contains the SQL query.
2) 'bomb' is the worst error description I've read today. Does your
computer actually explode? I doubt it. What really happens.

Matt Garrish

Hey,
I've run into an error with the IIS Server on my PC when using Perl
ActiveState

- I'm running the following select statement:

<code>
SELECT form_table.fname,
form_table.title,
form_table.txt,
form_rec.form_url,
form_rec.form_type
FROM form_table, form_rec
WHERE form_table.fname = form_rec.fname
and form_table.fname LIKE '%bb%'
</code>
- The statment works within SQL Server (Query analyzer)
- It works in MySQL using the Query browser
- It also works most of the timewith a Perl CGI, if I use a variable:
HOWEVER, if I run a perl script where the $fname variable is set to the
letter 'a', it bombs, whether I'm in SQL Server OR MySQL.

What is fname? Is the letter a in this field very common? Are there a lot of
entries? Are you perhaps running out of time processing the results or
perhaps running out of memory?

I have seen CGIs crash because of the number of warnings generated from a
huge result set, when the script would otherwise appear to run on smaller
ones (i.e., not checking for unintialized values and having the thousands of
warnings generated crash the logging).

I would suggest you post some real code, and maybe people here might be able
to give you better advice. We can't guess any better than you from a single
sql statement what's wrong.

Matt

Tad McClellan

Brian Wakem said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

2) 'bomb' is the worst error description I've read today.

I think it means it is really cool, as in "this dress is the bomb".

That's the impression I get from listening to my teenage
daughter anyway...