IIs Newbie question: why cant I create a new ASP.net project?

Brad Rogers

Im using vb.net 2003, click File/New/Project and in the Visual Basic
projects, select the ASP.NET Web application

The path is http://localhost1/something

it takes several seconds and says NO! are you crazy? you cant create an
ASP.NET application! Something isnt on your computer that you need, a web
server?

So I finally get the idea to click 'help' and it says I need the IIs thing
installed on my computer. But I just spent 5 hours yesterday installing SQL
server, isnt that good enough?

The last time I installed IIs was in 2001. Ill never forget it. It was
like saying hey remote cyberspace community, please ruin my computer,
remotely, you can logon and have full priviledges...and thats what happened.
So now just thinking about IIs? has it been improved where "Anonymous" wont
get total access to my computer?

tia

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

December 24, 2005

LOL No, anonymous users aren't going to have complete unlimited access to
your computer. :) I have it installed on almost every one of my machines,
and I have never had a virus come through it. By default, all web sites run
under ASPNET account (Win XP Pro) or Network Server (Windows Server 2003)...
and therefore they have very limited access. Normal web site applications
can't even write to the Application event log or read files by default. IIS
is very secure now. :) Hope this helps, and I say go ahead and install!!! :)

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

Guest

yo Brad, you can install the IIS via the control panel, add remove programs,
add remove windows components on the left side, click internet info server
and it will install or ask you to insert original disk

i am new at this stuff too, so maybe we can help each other and get some
others to help. after all it is christmas!!!

dan

Brad Rogers

Hey thanks you guys

What Ill probaby do is install the new VS2005 beta Ive got, it better still
be okay to use, and install IIs there. I need to see the newest features,
its for learning right now.

I installed the SQL server which seems awesome, but click on anything? its a
3-5 minute wait. I need a tv to watch or something else to do. click,
hourglass, nothing, wait.

will keep you posted

Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD

December 24, 2005

Actually, VS 05 comes with its own internal 'IIS' like engine... so you
actually don't (and cannot) use IIS with the 2005 version. Once your
applications are deployed in a production environment, would be when you
have to install IIS since you are using VS 05. :) I do believe VS 05 beta
is still okay to use, and you can always get the Trial edition if something
comes up unexpectedly. Hope this helps, and they can be slow! (especially
the betas)

--

Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

Brad Rogers

Could I install IIs from another setup disk? Im really not sure exactly
what IIs is in enough detail to know if its a free thing like Internet
Explorer or its a licensed thing like sql?

After installing it way back and my system was left open, Ive only been
doing winforms, nothing that interacts with any network in any way.
Anything that said "IIs" in tech docs? I ignored them.

Im finding some info at the msdn site which is great, having video examples
makes all the difference for me.