IIS not authorizing, gives 401.1

jeffpriz

We're deploying a couple of ASP.Net web apps up to our stage server
today, and I'm confounded by some trouble I'm seeing.
I'm deploying 2 webs.. one is working, and one is not.. I believe the
deployments to be the same with regaurd to how they should be
authenitcating...

These apps are set up with Forms authentication in their Web.Configs,
and IIS is set for Anonymous Access only (both windows and basic auth
are un-checked), and the Apps have <Impersonate=True /> set

On the one that is NOT working, I receive a 401.1 Unauthorized: Login
Failed message when attempting to access the application.

We have a domain ID setup in IIS for the Anonymous User.. and that ID
has read/execute rights to the folders..

The app that does not work on Stage does work just fine on our Dev
server... I'm just confounded as to why this 401.1 is coming up!

I'm just stuck as to where to look next.. I don't understand why IIS is
returning me the 401.1!

jeffpriz

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

why do you need impersonate=true when you use forms auth?

jeffpriz

Forms auth because we have existing login forms for internet apps,
however we are required to use windows auth to our SQL Server .. so we
set up the Anon user with a user that has the needed rights to our DB.
So we use integrated security to the DB with impersonate (otherwise
you'll come across as the local ASPNET user.. not good)

anyways.. still no resolution

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

have you double checked that the password for the anon user in IIS is correct?

jeffpriz

bahh.. yes it seems that the people in the Server group in charge of
creating the web (the security policy preclude us developers from
knowing the PWD's for the SQL ID's) apparently neglected to provide the
Domain in the ID of the ANON user.. After asking them to double check
the password they found the trouble.. things seem to be working better
now...

thank you very much for the responses!