IIS not retrieving latest version of assembly from GAC

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eidolon, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Eidolon

    Eidolon Guest

    I was working on one of my assemblies yesterday which we have in our GAC and
    is used by a number of our web applications/sites on our intranet.
    Something strange started happening though. I would compile the program,
    then do the following in order given:

    gacutil /u myAssembly
    gacutil /i myAssembly.dll
    net stop iisadmin
    net start w3svc

    Yet IIS and the web applications conitnued to use the old code, no matter
    how i played with these steps and the order of them. The only way i could
    get IIS to use the new code was to open a windows explorer windows to
    C:\WINNT\Assembly, locate my assembly, right click it and go to properties.
    Once i did this, IIS would use the new code. This sounds totally bizarre,
    but i ran the process over and over and over and over, first trying without
    going to the file, then going to the file, and it was 100% consistent.

    Can anyone explain this behaviour to me??
    TIA - Aaron.

    Eidolon, Jun 26, 2003