IIS or PWS

WStoreyII

I am very new to this. Why exactly do i need iis for asp.net and why can i
not use it or pws on windows xp home edition? If i understand the purpose
of this program than maybee i can find a way around it. Other wise it looks
like i am going to just switch to java, as i am sick of microsofts marketing
bs.

WStoreyII

Thanks again for the Help?

WStoreyII

Steve,
thank you for the quick response i will check out the cassini web server.
But i am still curious, is the point of having the web server just to be
able to test and run the software on the computer. What happens if the
server that i use to deploy the project to does nto have or support asp?
sorry am really new to this and am trying to get a hang of it

WstoryeII thanks again

Annick Van Hoof

WStoreyII said:
Steve,
thank you for the quick response i will check out the cassini web server.
But i am still curious, is the point of having the web server just to be
able to test and run the software on the computer. What happens if the
server that i use to deploy the project to does nto have or support asp?
sorry am really new to this and am trying to get a hang of it

You can use the Cassini webserver in order to test ASP.NET pages on your XP
Home edition. This machine should of course need to have the .NET framework
(1.0 or 1.1) installed.

When you deploy your ASP.NET pages to an external server hosting your page
to the internet, this webserver should need to have the framework as well as
a webserver installed. Although in this case the Cassini webserver can be
modified so that it accepts external connections (which it normally does not
allow), it's obvious you will want to have your pages hosted on an IIS 5
(and if possibly on a IIS 6) server.

Wim

WStoreyII

so i can use the cassini server to test the pages on my computer. what if
the servers dont have iis servers then can i still use the asp pages? will
they work with other servers besides iis? I am making this page for my
personal use and do not think that a website that i buy which will most
likely be like 2 dollars a month will have this technology?

wstoreyii

WStoreyII

this may sound stupid but i downloaded the casssini but when i go to make a
asp.net package it i get a error message. it says that now webserver was
detected at this url.

wstoreyii

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Cassini is fine for development purposes. But to deploy a real web site on
the internet you're probably going to need IIS on the server. The .NET
Framework will also need to be present on the server. There are some
free/cheap web hosts out there that do this kind of thing. I'm sure others
in this newsgroup can give you more information on them if you ask.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Annick Van Hoof

Although there are probably even cheaper solutions, you could go to
www.accuwebhosting.com
Your ASP.NET page could be hosted there for 4$/month. I personally have an
account www.alentus.com: a bit more expensive though.

There is no way round it: if you want to have your ASP.NET pages hosted your
provider should have .NET framework (1.0 or 1.1) and a compatible webserver
(IIS) installed. Period.

Wim

Annick Van Hoof

Verify on which port the Cassini webserver is running. I'm not sure but I
thought it default runs on port 8080, whereas 80 is the HTTP default.
So try to use following URL:
http://localhost:8080

and see what this returns.

Wim