IIS Problems in Vista

David Hearn

I just moved to Vista and added IIS. Everything that I see indicates that
IIS is running as it should be. However, when I open up VS2005 and try to
create a new website, only filesystem is available. The option for creating
a site on localhost is not available (greyed out). Anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

Scott M.

Did you install IIS after VS 2005? If so, you'll need to instal ASP.NET
into IIS by running the "aspnetregiis -i"

Mark Fitzpatrick

VS uses the FrontPage Server Extensions to communitate with the web server.
The FP Server Extensions aren't compatible with IIS 7. There's a beta
version (over at http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=1 somewhere) but I
haven't tried it. Because there aren't any FP Server Extensions to
communicate with, VS can't talk to localhost and thus has to create a web
via the file system. You may find this adventageous though as you could
place your new webs anywhere on your computer and simply create a virtual
directory in IIS to point to them. Makes backups a lot easier if you can
keep all your project files in a nice neat location instead of scattered
around places like my documents and the inetpub directories.

Scott M.

Is this true for VS 2005? Even VS 2003 allowed you to choose FrontPage
Server Extensions OR File Share.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Is this true for VS 2005?

It's true for Vista.

re:
!> Even VS 2003 allowed you to choose FrontPage Server Extensions OR File Share.

Using Front Page extensions is not recommended
when creating ASP.NET sites with VS 2005.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Yes as it has nothing to do with VS. VS 2002,3,5 all use the FP Server
extensions to talk to the web server to create a site on localhost. VS isn't
doing the work here, the FP Server extensions are as they're the interface
used to talk to the web server, no way around it. Without the FP Server
Extensions, VS knows it can only use the File Share method.

Scott M.

I guess my point was that since MS is phasing out FP (and the server
extensions), I would have thought that VS 2005 would communicate with IIS
without them.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I would have thought that VS 2005 would communicate with IIS without them.

It does.

Take it from the horse's mouth :

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/21/423201.aspx

<quote>

A few of the big improvements that we think developers will like:
No More FrontPage Server Extension Requirement

Unlike previous releases of Visual Studio, VS 2005 no longer requires developers to use
or have FPSE (FrontPage Server Extensions) installed in order to create or build web projects.

You can now browse, create, and open local IIS applications and vdirs without FPSE on the box
(instead we now have support for VS 2005 to directly use the IIS Metabase configuration store to
attach and identify sites/apps/vdirs and associated physical path bindings).

You can also edit and open web projects directly off of the file-system, or access them remotely over FTP.

FPSE is still fully supported for those who want it. But if you are in the camp that doesn’t want it
(which based on feedback is 95%+ of you), your _vti_ directories will be a thing of the past.

Also, “Copy Web” supports FTP when copying your web to a remote server.
You can also use FTP after publishing your website to a local folder.

</quote>

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> My comment (above) was in response to Mark's comment (below).
!>> VS uses the FrontPage Server Extensions to communitate with the web server.

Indeed.

That should have read :

"VS 2005 *can* use the FrontPage Server Extensions to
communicate with the web server, although it doesn't need to."

Imho, FPSE cause more problems than they solve.