IIS Randomly Hanging

mgdev

I need some help on how to troubleshoot IIS Randomly Hanging on my server.

Late last year we upgraded our ASP.net (2.0) application with a lot of new
features. Now that we've rolled this new version out to many of our
customers we're getting complaints about IIS hanging and needing to be
restarted. Unfortunately, this hanging is random. After the restart of IIS
the application works as expected. We are unable to predictably reproduce
this hanging situation. But at some point, anywhere from an hour to a few
days, the w3wp.exe will hang again and prevent the system from being used. I
have observed this first hand, but as I stated above, after restarting IIS I
can't reproduce the problem.

We have seen this problem in both IIS6 (Server 2003) and IIS7 (Server 2008).

If you have any suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting or
resolving this issue I'd like to know. Please know that this is an urgent
matter so if there are any options I can try that would minimize this problem
for the short term I'd like to explore that as well.

Bob Barrows

mgdev said:
I need some help on how to troubleshoot IIS Randomly Hanging on my
server.

Late last year we upgraded our ASP.net (2.0) application with a lot

**********canned wrong newsgroup reply****************************
recommended practice), but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to
a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

to help you.

HTH,
Bob Barrows
**********canned wrong newsgroup reply****************************

You might try checking the IIS logs to see if there is any clue. Also
the Windows Event Viewer might offer some clues.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?bWdkZXY=?=
[...]

This is a Classic ASP group, and you would probably do better in an IIS
group anyway. I would try microsoft.public.inetserver.iis first and see how
it goes there.