IIS Redirect for Maintenance

dm4714

Hello - we have an ecommerce application that needs to come down for
maintenance. The application is normally only accessed via
http://www.mydomain.com/virtualdir/aspfile.asp.

I'm using W2K Advanced Server/SP4.

I would like to create a generic HTML page that can easily be put on the IIS
server to redirect all users that access any files on this domain to my
maintenance page.

Originally, I thought I could create a directory called "maint" or whatever
from root and from the "Directory" tab within IIS Manager, change the URL to
redirect to a specific page and set the checkbox (directory below current or
whatever). This appears to work, as long as no virtualdirector or specific
ASP file is referenced at the end of the URL.

Does anyone know the best way to handle this without making a bunch of
permanent changes? My site will be down about 6 hours and I need a
maintenance page to display during this period.

BTW, I do have other banking sites that have their own logon/password form
on their site. Their sites <FORM> action attribute points to my server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Depends what you mean by the site being down - will the IIS box itself be
down altogether, or are you just making a bunch of changes the content
files?

it's possible to have a secondary site on the same box which takes over from
the first when you stop the first one, or you can swap out for another box,
or some network infrastructures can fail over if your web server is out and
deliver a 'sorry' page. there are even ways this can be done in ASP or
ASP.NET. depends what you want

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

dm4714

The host system (mainframe) will be down. So IIS will still be up.

The site uses only https for access.

I'm not sure by creating another site. I cannot change IP or anything and
I'm using certificates.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

hmm... given that it's HTTPs, slight problem there. Can you just change the
home directory to point to a different, empty folder and add a custom 404
which points to an 'undergoing maintentance' page?

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

rights.

Flip

Create a basic asp index page with redirects. Make it the only
default doc in iis.
Another thing to maybe try is to create a web page for setting the
Maintenance on/off and read that in the index page. If you plan on doing
maintenance periodically, this will save you the maintenance hassles in the
future.

Adrienne

[...]

If you have a common include file in all your documents, it's pretty
simple. Create a maintenance.html and offline.asp . In offline.asp just:

<% dim offline
dim redirect

offline = false
redirect = "maintenance.html"

if offline = true then
response.redirct redirect
end if
%>

Then just add <!-- #include file="offline.asp"--> in the include file that
is common to all pages.

dm4714

Thanks everyone!

Adrienne said:
If you have a common include file in all your documents, it's pretty
simple. Create a maintenance.html and offline.asp . In offline.asp just:

<% dim offline
dim redirect

offline = false
redirect = "maintenance.html"

if offline = true then
response.redirct redirect
end if
%>

Then just add <!-- #include file="offline.asp"--> in the include file that
is common to all pages.

Evertjan.

Adrienne wrote on 02 mrt 2005 in
If you have a common include file in all your documents, it's pretty
simple. Create a maintenance.html and offline.asp . In offline.asp
just:

<% dim offline
dim redirect

offline = false
redirect = "maintenance.html"

if offline = true then
response.redirct redirect
end if
%>

Then just add <!-- #include file="offline.asp"--> in the include file
that is common to all pages.

Why have the browser show the maintenance.asp address?
Do a transfer!

You will have to test the site online yourself during maintenance,
I suppose

Switching by setting or removing remark apostrofes is easiest

<%
offline = false
'offline = true ' delete first remark sign if site offline

excludeMySelf = true
excludeMySelf = false ' remark line if exclusion not required

isMyIP = request.servervariables("remote_addr")="123.456.3.1"

notMyIP = NOT isMyIP and NOT excludeMySelf

if offline and notMyIP then server.transfer "maintenance.asp"
%>