IIS reports SmartNav.htm as a 404 File Not Found, Why So?

anon

IIS is reporting "SmartNav.htm" and "SmartNav.js" in the

/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/

directory on the web server as FILE NOT FOUND 404 errors.

Does anyone know why IIS is report this as a 404?

Should I place the files above in that said directory to prevent this? I
don't why this should matter, but I would really like to know what's
happening here.

The .NET Framework 1.1 is installed cleanly on a Win 2K server.

Kristofer Gafvert

This is not something created by IIS. I suppose that if you are using the
files, and they are supposed to be in that directory, but are not, then you
get a 404 Not Found error. To solve that, copy the files into the directory.

But you might want to find out what this really is, and how it is supposed
to work, before doing anything? Guessing what to do, most often gives you
more things to fix in the end.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP

anon

I have been searching MSDN....nothing whatsoever.

I am guessing that most .NET developer aren't good in the web development
and for them to even start analyzing their web files would be wishfull
thinking as they rarely have their own website anyway.

So, I guess, if any of you Microsoft people are listening, please check and
see if you are generating 404 errors if you don't have the

/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/

folder in one of your web sites

It sounds like a bug.......as that's what I have to do manually to get rid
of that 404 error

Kristofer Gafvert

Can you please tell me where the bug is?

Obviously your pages (which you developed) are using the smartnav files. And
if they are not installed, of course you will get 404 - File not found,
because the files are not there! Why not look at the referer, to find out
what files are using smartnav?

To install the Client Side scripts, run

aspnet_regiis -c

on the server.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP
Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but please
do not.
http://www.ilopia.com/

anon

Do you have to install the .NET SDK as opposed to the .NET runtime only for
the

aspnet_regiis -c

command to work?

David Wang [Msft]

The files should already be there. If you don't have those files, then IIS
is absolutely correct in returning 404 for your requests.

What I suspect in your situation is the root of your website has been moved
from the original location and that those ASP.Net files were not moved with
it. If so, fix that.

--
//David
IIS
IIS is reporting "SmartNav.htm" and "SmartNav.js" in the

/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/

directory on the web server as FILE NOT FOUND 404 errors.

Does anyone know why IIS is report this as a 404?

Should I place the files above in that said directory to prevent this? I
don't why this should matter, but I would really like to know what's
happening here.

The .NET Framework 1.1 is installed cleanly on a Win 2K server.

anon

I orginally pointed my web site to another hard drive partition that's not
on C:

Do you think that's why there are no files there?

David Wang [Msft]

Absolutely. If you point websites to different physical partitions, how is
ASP.Net ever going to figure that out? You can run aspnet_regiis to fix
ASP.net settings based on your new configuration, or you can go and copy
those files yourself.

--
//David
IIS