IIS requires write access on custom verb

Gaetan

Anyone knows why IIS 6.0 requires that the user account required write access to the web application
folder when a custom verb is used?

I configured my web application and added COMP to the list of verbs. I coded a small ASPX and
ASPX.cs file who process web requests whose HTTP verb is COMP instead of the more common GET, PUT.

When the user account used on the HTTP requests (I use WinHTTP on the client side) is granted NTFS
"Modify" access to the web application folder, all works fine for the COMP verb. However, when I
only grant "Read" access to the folder, I receive a 401 (unauthorized) response from IIS.

With Read only access and the use of theHTTP GET verb instead of COMP, all work OK. Could it be that
the ASPX handler requires "Modify" access to the web folder when it does not recognize an HTTP verb?
Can I change that behavior?