    a windows 2003 server?

    Thanks for helping.
    , Oct 7, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
    > when IIS6 kills itself.
    >
    > My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
    > which restarts the whole site.
    >
    > The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
    > hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
    > and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
    > security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
    > is considerable slow.
    >
    > The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
    > flags and checkboxes here and there
    >
    > 1) Is my hosting company fooling me?

    Probably not, although they could reduce the problem by putting less people
    on a server, but that would cut their profit. If they are cheap, it is
    likely they are running on low profit already.

    > 2) Is there a way to speed up this process?

    Possibly, but the fact that they have overloaded the server makes it
    difficult, even under IIS 6.0. Different app pools, for example, might work,
    but I am not fully convinced it will and it WILL make a maintenance
    nightmare for them.

    > 3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
    > a windows 2003 server?

    I would not think 4-6 hours, but the server being overloaded can sure hurt
    things.

    To me, it sounds like you have outgrown this particular package and possibly
    this provider.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!
    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 7, 2006

  3. Liz Guest

    200,000 files on a shared server ? why haven't they gotten rid of you ?

    you haven't said what's in thoese files but perhaps you can migrate those
    into SQL Server if it's available .. obviously you will have to re-code ..

    it really kind of sounds like your architecture is not right or you need to
    migrate to a dedicated box ... this wouldn't be one of those $4.95/month
    plans, would it ?

    Liz, Oct 7, 2006

    When I contaced my hoster and told him I am going to switch, the site
    was online in minutes! ...after 12 hours....

    Acutally I pay a 100US a month, so its not a 9.95 solution at all. I
    must say, that I pay more with increasing storage consumption.

    I am thinking moving to ServerIntellect and go for their 249USD/month
    solution.

    That is more than doulbe what I pay right now, but at the end I need a
    dedicated server anyway.

    Thanks for helping...

    Liz wrote:
    > 200,000 files on a shared server ? why haven't they gotten rid of you ?
    >
    > you haven't said what's in thoese files but perhaps you can migrate those
    > into SQL Server if it's available .. obviously you will have to re-code ..
    >
    > it really kind of sounds like your architecture is not right or you need to
    > migrate to a dedicated box ... this wouldn't be one of those $4.95/month
    > plans, would it ?

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
    > > when IIS6 kills itself.
    > >
    > > My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
    > > which restarts the whole site.
    > >
    > > The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
    > > hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
    > > and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
    > > security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
    > > is considerable slow.
    > >
    > > The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
    > > flags and checkboxes here and there
    > >
    > > 1) Is my hosting company fooling me?
    > >
    > > 2) Is there a way to speed up this process?
    > >
    > > 3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
    > > a windows 2003 server?
    > >
    > > Thanks for helping.

    , Oct 7, 2006