IIS restart takes ours

wwwmike

Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
when IIS6 kills itself.

My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
which restarts the whole site.

The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
is considerable slow.

The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
flags and checkboxes here and there

1) Is my hosting company fooling me?

2) Is there a way to speed up this process?

3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
a windows 2003 server?

Thanks for helping.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
when IIS6 kills itself.

My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
which restarts the whole site.

The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
is considerable slow.

The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
flags and checkboxes here and there

1) Is my hosting company fooling me?

Probably not, although they could reduce the problem by putting less people
on a server, but that would cut their profit. If they are cheap, it is
likely they are running on low profit already.
2) Is there a way to speed up this process?

Possibly, but the fact that they have overloaded the server makes it
difficult, even under IIS 6.0. Different app pools, for example, might work,
but I am not fully convinced it will and it WILL make a maintenance
nightmare for them.
3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
a windows 2003 server?

I would not think 4-6 hours, but the server being overloaded can sure hurt
things.

To me, it sounds like you have outgrown this particular package and possibly
this provider.

Liz

200,000 files on a shared server ? why haven't they gotten rid of you ?

you haven't said what's in thoese files but perhaps you can migrate those
into SQL Server if it's available .. obviously you will have to re-code ..

it really kind of sounds like your architecture is not right or you need to
migrate to a dedicated box ... this wouldn't be one of those $4.95/month
plans, would it ?

wwwmike

When I contaced my hoster and told him I am going to switch, the site
was online in minutes! ...after 12 hours....

Acutally I pay a 100US a month, so its not a 9.95 solution at all. I
must say, that I pay more with increasing storage consumption.

I am thinking moving to ServerIntellect and go for their 249USD/month
solution.

That is more than doulbe what I pay right now, but at the end I need a
dedicated server anyway.

Thanks for helping...