IIS Setup

David C. Holley

I'm a bit fed up with having to constantly change my INCLUDE statements
from INCLUDE FILE to INCLUDE VIRTUAL when I'm ready to put a new page
out on my webserver. How can I configure IIS on my WinXP Laptop to mimic
how my hosting company has their server setup?

David H.

Roland Hall

in message
: I'm a bit fed up with having to constantly change my INCLUDE statements
: from INCLUDE FILE to INCLUDE VIRTUAL when I'm ready to put a new page
: out on my webserver. How can I configure IIS on my WinXP Laptop to mimic
: how my hosting company has their server setup?

Hi David...

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I wasn't aware the host had anything
to do with whether you use FILE or VIRTUAL. I can use either but they are
referenced differently, as I'm sure you're aware.

I work with Visual Studio and always use virtual and never have any issues.
Is your local file structure different than your remote file structure?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

David Holley

No, the file structure is an exact replicate of that on my PC. I think
that it has to due with how my host has setup the permissions on the
server and various security-realted settings.

Here's the specific error log entry

2004-06-04 12:58:11 127.0.0.1 - W3SVC1 GET
/gatewayorlando/content/home.asp
|19|ASP_0126|Include_file_not_found|321|ASP_0126|Include_file_not_found
500 160 ASPSESSIONIDAQSQSCTS=MNAHLBPBOGDNJEJCANNBFHEK -

The error stems from:
<!-- #include virtual="/contentincludefiles/siteindex.inc"-->

David H.

Roland Hall

in message
:
: Here's the specific error log entry
:
: 2004-06-04 12:58:11 127.0.0.1 - W3SVC1 GET
: /gatewayorlando/content/home.asp
: |19|ASP_0126|Include_file_not_found|321|ASP_0126|Include_file_not_found
: 500 160 ASPSESSIONIDAQSQSCTS=MNAHLBPBOGDNJEJCANNBFHEK -
:
: The error stems from:
: <!-- #include virtual="/contentincludefiles/siteindex.inc"-->

Is this error on your site or the hosts?
I thought you said, in your OP, that you had to change TO virtual?! What
exactly do you do once you move the file to the web host to make it work?

This error is telling me /gatewayorlando/content/home.asp has a problem
finding /contentincludefiles/siteindex.inc and you are saying these files
are actually in these locations?

They would be at: ?
http://domain.com/gatewayorlando/content/home.asp
http://domain.com/contentincludefiles/siteindex.inc

Is the host running on Windows/IIS or *nix/Apache/Chili!Soft?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

David Holley

The error message delievered is the result of using INCLUDE VIRTUAL when
I try to access the page using LOCALHOST. Using INCLUDE VIRTUAL works
fine accessing it via www.gatewayorlando.com. If a leave the INCLUDE
FILEs in the pages, I get the following error message when accessing the
page via www.gatewayorlando.com

<!-- #include file="/contentincludefiles/siteindex.inc"-->
2004-06-05 19:14:17 68.204.252.6 - W3SVC75 WWW3 206.104.130.190 80 GET
/content/linksChooseCategoryASP.asp |23|ASP_0130|Invalid_File_attribute
302 0 341 388 110 HTTP/1.1 www.gatewayorlando.com
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+.NET+CLR+1.0.3705) -
-

using
<!-- #include file="../contentincludefiles/siteindex.inc"-->
The error is
2004-06-05 19:16:42 68.204.252.6 - W3SVC75 WWW3 206.104.130.190 80 GET
/content/linksChooseCategoryASP.asp |23|ASP_0131|Disallowed_Parent_Path
302 0 341 388 20 HTTP/1.1 www.gatewayorlando.com
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+.NET+CLR+1.0.3705) -
-

David C. Holley
www.gatewayorlando.com

Jeff Cochran

The error message delievered is the result of using INCLUDE VIRTUAL when
I try to access the page using LOCALHOST. Using INCLUDE VIRTUAL works
fine accessing it via www.gatewayorlando.com. If a leave the INCLUDE
FILEs in the pages, I get the following error message when accessing the
page via www.gatewayorlando.com

So don't use "localhost". Use the IP address instead when testing.
An INCLUDE VIRTUAL should work as long as the folder structure is the
same on your host and dev systems.

Jeff

David Holley

[BANG] STUPID! [BANG] STUPID! [BANG] STUPID! [BANG]
(Pardon me for banging my head up against the wall.)

I overlooked the fact that I added another directory level under the
wwwroot on my laptop which does not exist on the production web server.

David C. Holley
www.gatewayorlando.com

Roland Hall

in message
: [BANG] STUPID! [BANG] STUPID! [BANG] STUPID! [BANG]
: (Pardon me for banging my head up against the wall.)

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you were shooting yourself with the
stupid gun. Probably same effect! I keep mine fully loaded. (O:=

: I overlooked the fact that I added another directory level under the
: wwwroot on my laptop which does not exist on the production web server.

Ya', that's probably an issue. BTW... localhost is always 127.0.0.1

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

David C. Holley

Hey, didn't you create a new website a six months back or so? I seem to
recall that we exchanged an email or to.

David H
P.S. How's your Monty?

Roland Hall

: I meant HOW'S YOUR *BROTHER* MONTY?

glad you clarified that but I don't have a brother.