iis smtp service vs exchange server integration with aspx

Rea Peleg

Hi all
My intranet aspx application, needs to send email notifications.
I understand there are 2 options for servicing emails in this case:
1) iis smtp service.
2)proprietary email relay server like the company's exchange server.

I need to serve only a dozen intranet users.
I am not sure what is the advantage of using iis smtp service over the
exchangr server here?
One advantage is that it should be well synchronized with my application
as both are iis related (both applications should be available at the same
time
where the exchange server mite not work at times my application will).

But i got cold feet after reviewing some of the troubled messages here
regarding
iis-smtp...

Would be happy to here about your expirience

Thanks alot
Rea