    Jester Guest

    What's the IIS UNC token stated in ASP.NET impersonation
    docu? How do you set it? Thanks :)

    Jester, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Jester

    Microsoft Guest

    This is the token used to access files located on a remote UNC fileshare.

    It is set in the MMC snap-in property page Properties > Home Directory >
    Connect As > Network Security Credentials (only visible when "A share
    located on another computer" is selected in Home Directory"). It is also
    available in the metabase keys /W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserName and
    /W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserPass .

    Geneally, you should avoid using UNC fileshares for web app files. It's
    complicates security and adds a performance bottleneck. IMHO, best practice
    is to host the files locally unless you need a common, shared directory
    between multiple hosts in a web farm. They're are plenty of great
    operations products to replicate content between web farm hosts (Application
    Center, RoboCopy, Content Replication Service).

    -Steve Jansen

    Microsoft, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Jester

    Steve Jansen Guest

    Apologies for the "microsoft" header...i misconfigured my account options in
    OE.

    Steve Jansen, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Jester

    Jester Guest

    Thanks a lot, Steve. I really appreciate it :)

    Jester, Nov 12, 2003
  5. news.microsoft.com, Dec 9, 2003