IIS UNC Token

Jester

What's the IIS UNC token stated in ASP.NET impersonation
docu? How do you set it? Thanks :)

Microsoft

This is the token used to access files located on a remote UNC fileshare.

It is set in the MMC snap-in property page Properties > Home Directory >
Connect As > Network Security Credentials (only visible when "A share
located on another computer" is selected in Home Directory"). It is also
available in the metabase keys /W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserName and
/W3CSVC/<instance>/Root/.../UNCUserPass .

Geneally, you should avoid using UNC fileshares for web app files. It's
complicates security and adds a performance bottleneck. IMHO, best practice
is to host the files locally unless you need a common, shared directory
between multiple hosts in a web farm. They're are plenty of great
operations products to replicate content between web farm hosts (Application
Center, RoboCopy, Content Replication Service).

-Steve Jansen

Steve Jansen

Apologies for the "microsoft" header...i misconfigured my account options in
OE.

Jester

Thanks a lot, Steve. I really appreciate it :)
Apologies for the "microsoft" header...i misconfigured my account options in
OE.

bottleneck. IMHO, best
practice farm hosts
(Application