IIS Version 5.0 will not run ASP on LocalHost

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Michael Adkins, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. I have a new ASP project that I need to desperately test on my Windows 2000
    machine before posing to my Hosting Company. I am having problems getting
    the ASP pages to run from LocalHost. I will attempt to give as much
    information of what I have done to try to correct this without success.

    First my setup. Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 2 installed.
    IIS is installed. I have turned off the firewall just in case that was a
    problem as the laptop is operating as a stand alone and not on a network at
    this time. I also have VB6 with Service Pack 6 installed. I will explain
    later why that my be pertinent.

    The error that I am getting is:
    The Page Cannot Be Displayed. with a HTTP 500 error. This occurs every time
    I try to access a ASP page. HTML works fine from LocalHost.

    IIS Setup Information:
    Server Extension set to VBScript
    Applications Settings ---> Execute Permissions: Scripts and Executables.
    ..ASP Extensions set to GET, HEAD, POST, TRACE – Script Engine Checked.
    wwwroot ---> Internet Guest and Launch IIS Process have Full Control.

    I am getting the following error in the Event Viewer:
    Source: W3SVC
    error was ‘General access denied error

    I read on the web that VB6 Service Pack 6 will break IIS and that it is
    caused by permissions on a DLL File. I made the suggested correction and it
    did not resolve the problem. I have un-installed and re-installed IIS.

    On IE 5.5 I have set the Internet Options under LAN Settings to Bypass proxy
    server for local addresses.

    My test page is Microsoft Default http://localhost/localhost.asp

    Keep in mind that HTML pages are working so I know that IIS is running.

    Any suggestions would be great. I have been fighting this for 3 days and
    can not seem to find any help from anyone. You would think that IIS would
    work out of the box. It is also interesting that by default IIS sets up to
    run JAVA instead of ASP or VBScripts.

    Thank you
    Mike
    Michael Adkins, Nov 5, 2004

  2. http://www.aspfaq.com/2125
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2226

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Michael Adkins" <Michael > wrote in message
    > I have a new ASP project that I need to desperately test on my Windows

    2000
    > machine before posing to my Hosting Company. I am having problems getting
    > the ASP pages to run from LocalHost. I will attempt to give as much
    > information of what I have done to try to correct this without success.
    >
    > First my setup. Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 2 installed.
    > IIS is installed. I have turned off the firewall just in case that was a
    > problem as the laptop is operating as a stand alone and not on a network

    at
    > this time. I also have VB6 with Service Pack 6 installed. I will explain
    > later why that my be pertinent.
    >
    > The error that I am getting is:
    > The Page Cannot Be Displayed. with a HTTP 500 error. This occurs every

    time
    > I try to access a ASP page. HTML works fine from LocalHost.
    >
    > IIS Setup Information:
    > Server Extension set to VBScript
    > Applications Settings ---> Execute Permissions: Scripts and Executables.
    > .ASP Extensions set to GET, HEAD, POST, TRACE – Script Engine Checked.
    > wwwroot ---> Internet Guest and Launch IIS Process have Full Control.
    >
    > I am getting the following error in the Event Viewer:
    > Source: W3SVC

    The

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 5, 2004

  3. Michael Adkins

    Hal Rosser Guest

    > It is also interesting that by default IIS sets up to
    > run JAVA instead of ASP or VBScripts.

    Sure you're not talking about the Tomcat server, instead of IIS ??
    never heard of IIS running Java by default without a servlet container.
    got the language tag in your ASP ?

    ---
    Hal Rosser, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Michael Adkins

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    As a test, add IUSR and IWAM to the local admin group

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Nov 6, 2004