IIS Version 5.0 will not run ASP on LocalHost

Michael Adkins

I have a new ASP project that I need to desperately test on my Windows 2000
machine before posing to my Hosting Company. I am having problems getting
the ASP pages to run from LocalHost. I will attempt to give as much
information of what I have done to try to correct this without success.

First my setup. Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 2 installed.
IIS is installed. I have turned off the firewall just in case that was a
problem as the laptop is operating as a stand alone and not on a network at
this time. I also have VB6 with Service Pack 6 installed. I will explain
later why that my be pertinent.

The error that I am getting is:
The Page Cannot Be Displayed. with a HTTP 500 error. This occurs every time
I try to access a ASP page. HTML works fine from LocalHost.

IIS Setup Information:
Server Extension set to VBScript
Applications Settings ---> Execute Permissions: Scripts and Executables.
..ASP Extensions set to GET, HEAD, POST, TRACE – Script Engine Checked.
wwwroot ---> Internet Guest and Launch IIS Process have Full Control.

I am getting the following error in the Event Viewer:
Source: W3SVC
error was ‘General access denied error

I read on the web that VB6 Service Pack 6 will break IIS and that it is
caused by permissions on a DLL File. I made the suggested correction and it
did not resolve the problem. I have un-installed and re-installed IIS.

On IE 5.5 I have set the Internet Options under LAN Settings to Bypass proxy
server for local addresses.

My test page is Microsoft Default http://localhost/localhost.asp

Keep in mind that HTML pages are working so I know that IIS is running.

Any suggestions would be great. I have been fighting this for 3 days and
can not seem to find any help from anyone. You would think that IIS would
work out of the box. It is also interesting that by default IIS sets up to
run JAVA instead of ASP or VBScripts.

Thank you
Mike

Hal Rosser

It is also interesting that by default IIS sets up to
run JAVA instead of ASP or VBScripts.

Sure you're not talking about the Tomcat server, instead of IIS ??
never heard of IIS running Java by default without a servlet container.
got the language tag in your ASP ?