IIS won't serve my ASP.NET pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by jeff, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Im having a problems with IIS on my XPpro(notebook)
    and win2k(desktop) machines.
    I installed Visual Studio .NET 2003 both,
    and am trying to create a C# asp.net application.

    The webserver (iis) on the XP Machine does not work at all.
    IISmanager says that it is running, but it won't serve
    even a simple html page, let alone an asp or asp.net page.
    I can't create a new asp.net app or webservice on the XP
    machine at all--> it just hangs trying to get a response
    from iis. Eventually it comes up with an error message
    saying it recieved a invalid response.

    On my win2k machine I can open a VS asp.net project successfully with
    no error or warning messages and build it, but when
    I try to run it (either from within VS or directly
    from IE) I get this error message
    on a "This page cannot be displayed" web page:

    Error Type:
    Active Server Pages, ASP 0221 (0x80004005)
    The specified 'WebService Language="c#"
    Codebehind="Service1.asmx.cs"
    Class="WebService1.Service1" '
    option is unknown or invalid.
    /WebService1/Service1.asmx, line 1

    I originally had a problem creating a new asp.net project.
    I got an error message saying that asp.net 1.1 was not installed
    on my webserver. I found a KB article (306005 -
    How To Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS) and
    followed the instructions. (using aspnet_regiis.exe -i then registering
    the aspnet_isapi.dll)

    Now both my XP-Pro and Win2k machines show the correct ISAPI
    Application entries for ASP and ASP.NET files in IISmanager - that's
    progress. But...

    I've also tried some solutions in other KB articles:

    * KB 555132 (it is about putting an explicit IP
    address in the IP Address field in the default web site properties:Web
    Site:IP Address - field in IISmanager, and in the
    Namespace="xxx.xxx.xx.xxx" code in the VS project file. But in the
    article it also says to do something in IISmanager with the "working
    status" -- I can't find such a field...

    * KB82579 - providing a file called Get_aspx_ver.aspx in the wwwroot
    directory.

    All to no avail.

    I'm about ready to start from scratch on my XP system and reformat the
    hard drive and re-install EVERYTHING again, but it seems that I am SO
    CLOSE TO SOLVING this on the Win2k machine that I don't want to give up
    there (I can't give up anyway--I'm on a job where I have to create some
    web services!!!)

    Any ideas on what my next step needs to be? aparently IIS, even with
    the help of aspnet_isapi.dll does not understand the
    [Webservice Language="C#" class="Webservice1"...] line in the page.

    I'm getting desperate, but hopeful at the same time!!! - Please help.
    -Thanks again,
    jeff

    jeff, Jan 7, 2005