IIS5.1 ASP problem

JoeM

Not sure if this is the correct newgroup to ask this, if it is not please
direct me to the correct location

I have IIS5.1 on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine. The extensions for ASP and
asa are missing the DLL files. Like "inetsrvasp.dll" how can I get this
back. Would this be on the original CD.

Thanks

Anthony Jones

asp, cer, cdx,asa,htr file extensions are all handled by the asp.dll found
in the inetserv folder in system32.

Anthony.

Anthony Jones

I noticed that this file is not in they system32 folder.

Did you mean the system32/inetserv folder?

If so you have a broken install of IIS. It's not normally possible to
install the IIS component of XP without installing ASP.

Try re-installing/repairing IIS.

Anthony.

JoeM

OK, found the fold and file. Took the asp, cer, cdx,asa,htr extensions and
linked them to the system32/inetserv/asp.dll. When I try to access a ASP
page it says this page can not be displayed 404 error.
I have uninstalled IIS and attempted to reinstall it, but it says it can not
find the files on the CD. This CD is the original XP disk I bought that has
no SPs with it (bought about 4 years ago).
Any addition info would be appreciated.

Anthony Jones

Which SP of XP are you running? If SP2 you will need an SP2 CD in order to
reinstall stuff.

When you say you 'linked' asp etc to asp.dll what exactly did you do?

Anthony.

JoeM

I am running SP2 right now. I went to the Home Directory, Clicked the
configuration button, under the mappings tab I changed asp, cer, cdx,asa,htr
file extensions to the system32/inetserv/asp.dll location it was set for
404.dll. All of the extensions you mensioned were on 404.dll. I can
create a SP2 disk from my original disk if that would help.

Thanks

JoeM

Got an XP SP2 disk tried that, but it says it can not find certain files, I
found the files on the CD, and directed it to it with no luck

JoeM

Anthony is it possible that since I am using fat32 not NTFS that this could
be cause part of the problem?

Anthony Jones

I can't see how being FAT32 would make this difference. If anything FAT32
makes things more available than not. Still not a good choice for pretty
much anything pure windows these days.

I'm struggling to see how a XP Pro SP2 CD doesn't have the required files
for IIS5.1 It's mystifying.

Perhaps you should try in an XP group or a group more attuned to install and
setup issues.

Anthony.