IIS5 and permissions

Hugh Welford

Hi, I have installed IIS5 on my machine so that I can do offline asp web
development. (using WIN XP PRO). My machine is called "development"

I have published an on-line working web to
http://development/websites/defaultwebsite/de-stress and copied on-line
working data to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\de-stress\data\schooldata.mdb

The database schooldata.mdb is in access97, and in its on-line existence
accepts both read and write access OK.

However, offline, I can only get it to run in read-only mode, any attempt to
write to it results in "object read only" error.

The DSN is set up without System Data Base. I have set read/write permission
in IIS on all the path nodes websites, defaultwebsite, de-stress, data and
schooldata.mdb and have set anonymous access/user name
IUSR_DEVELOPMENT/allow IIS to control password wherever appropriate, and
still I cannot write into the db from the site.

I have only access 2000 installed on this machine, which will not let me
write into an access97 db, but surely the write takes place server-side? I
have converted the db to access2000 to see if that solved the problem, but
makes it worse as the asp pages can neither read Nor write, saying I have no
permission, even if the DSN is set up with system data base which allows me
to change it. The db itself has user/group admin permissions on database and
all tables. What else can I do to get at my own data??? Is there not an
offline no-permissions mode to allow offline development without all this
hassle?

Sorry to be long-winded. Desperate for some help. Thanks Hugh

Ray at

Make sure that your IUSR account has NTFS permissions to the \data
directory. The IUSR account need to be able to modify files, create files,
and delete files in that directory.

Ray at work

Ray at

p.s. You should fix your clock. You're jumping to the ~end~ of the line.
Apply the opposite logic that you read here, and you'll see you're being
super-courteous. :] www.aspfaq.com/5005

Ray at work

Hugh Welford

Thanks for your help Ray. Since I am a newbie, and not familiar with IIS,
could you tell me how to give IUSR account the NTFS permissions to the \data
directory? In the IIS console tree, right clicking the data directory and
selection properties shows that I have already checked read/write in the
local path box on the Directory Tab, and on the Directory Security tab have
checked anonymous access in the anonymous access and authentication methods
box.

If I have to do any more, I would be grateful for your further help, and
some advice as to where I could get a manaul on IIS management. Thanks Hugh

Hugh Welford

HI Ray, as far as I can see my clock is set correctly in the GMT time
zone - I am in UK.

Regards Hugh

Hugh Welford said:
Hi, I have installed IIS5 on my machine so that I can do offline asp web
developme

Ray at

Looks good now!

Ray at work

Hugh Welford said:
Hi, I have installed IIS5 on my machine so that I can do offline asp web
developme

Ray at

NTFS file permissions are set at the file system level within Windows
Explorer, for example, not IIS. So, open a Windows Explorer, right click
the folder, click properties, go to the security tab, click Add..., type
YOURCOMPUTERNAME\IUSR_YOURCOMPUTERNAME, press Enter, select read, write,
modify (or just full control if you aren't the ultra-paranoid type) and
click OK.

If you do not see a security tab, either you don't have your drive formatted
in NTFS and you're problem is something else entirely, or your XP OS is
setup in that way that hides everything that is useful. If you don't see
it, then do this:

Start---run--CMD--Enter
format c:
[read the response]
Press Ctrl+C to cancel out of this operation.

If it said you have an NTFS drive (as opposed to FAT[32]), then enter this:

cacls c:\inetpub\wwwroot\de-stress\data /E /G IUSR_YourComputerName:F

Ray at work

hugh Welford

Thanks Ray for your advice. I do not see the Security tab, but do have NTFS,
so followed your advice - but still no joy.

Even after the recommended changes, when I go to the data directory in Win
Explorer, and go to Properties the read-only attibute is set. It un-checks,
but doesnt take - it is still checked if I go there again. Just drives you
mad.

Also, In Explorer, if I go to the db properties of the db in the data
directory, it tells me the file will open with ACCESS for windows (does the
IIS server side use the same ACCESS as client side in offline situation like
this?). Anyway, the db which is working on-line in in ACCESS 97 format, so I
upgraded the offline version to ACCESS 2000, and it will now neither read
nor write...tells me I dont have permission, even tho the DSN is no system
database. If I try to look at permissions on this 2000 db, ut tells me I
have no permission - "records cannot be read: no read permission on
Msysaccounts"

It all drives you mad - never had these problems with win 98 and PWS - all I
want to do is write to my own data.

I quite understand if you dont wish to continue with this, but if you dont
mind, any further advice would be gratefull accepted. What is the best
resource to learn about WIN XP/IIS management?

Regards and Thanks Hugh

hugh Welford said:
Thanks Ray for your advice. I do not see the Security tab, but do have NTFS,
so followed your advice - but still no joy.

I think it may have something to do with the "use simple file sharing"
option in Windows Explorer's tools--options, but I cannot say for sure. All
the XP machines that I use are in domains, and when you join a domain when
installing XP, it sets things up a bit more "professionaly." I suggest
asking in an XP forum something along the lines of:

I have XP Pro and my drive is formated in NTFS. But when I pull up the
properties of a folder, the security tab is not displayed. How do I get it
to display?

Even after the recommended changes, when I go to the data directory in Win
Explorer, and go to Properties the read-only attibute is set. It un-checks,
but doesnt take - it is still checked if I go there again. Just drives you
mad.

That's different.

Also, In Explorer, if I go to the db properties of the db in the data
directory, it tells me the file will open with ACCESS for windows (does the
IIS server side use the same ACCESS as client side in offline situation like
this?).

That just indicates what application is registered for the .mdb extension on
your machine. On the IIS server, ADO is what is used to access the
database.

Anyway, the db which is working on-line in in ACCESS 97 format, so I
upgraded the offline version to ACCESS 2000, and it will now neither read
nor write...tells me I dont have permission, even tho the DSN is no system
database. If I try to look at permissions on this 2000 db, ut tells me I
have no permission - "records cannot be read: no read permission on
Msysaccounts"

I don't know what that's about... Are you using one of those "workgroup"
databases or whatever? But also, drop the DSN and use an OLEDB connection
string to connect to your Access DB. See the OLEDB strings for Access at
www.connectionstrings.com.

It all drives you mad - never had these problems with win 98 and PWS - all I
want to do is write to my own data.

The same thing that is causing these problems in XP is the same thing that
makes XP (and NT lines) a far superior operating system. File permissions
are crucial.

I quite understand if you dont wish to continue with this, but if you dont
mind, any further advice would be gratefull accepted. What is the best
resource to learn about WIN XP/IIS management?

The Internet. :p
www.iisfaq.com is a good site. Hopefully you've already discovered
www.aspfaq.com. There are some XP newsgroups, but it's like the NYSE in
there. There are sixteen million people all shouting at the same time
hoping to be heard. It's insane. I'm more partial to
(e-mail address removed).

Ray at home

hugh Welford

Thanks a million, Ray...you are a star.

[...]