IIS5 > IIS6 Aspx pages with MSAccess dbs no longer working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark B, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    Our webhost (www.usbusinessweb.net) had a W2K IIS5 server crash after a
    scheduled hard-boot occurred during a ms-security patch install overnight.
    They couldn't get the server working again so they transferred our site
    www.orbisoft.com to a new W2003 IIS6 server they set up.

    That was a week ago.

    Since that transfer, all of our ASPX pages that use Access2000 databases
    have stopped working.

    Our main one is our "buy" page at
    http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2005/purchase/select-version.aspx
    which means potential customers can't purchase there.

    I have shown the error below which essentially says "Cannot update. Database
    or object is read-only."

    After numerous assurances from our webhost that they have set anonymous user
    write access for both the /fpdb folder and the individual databases we still
    get the same error. They say it is our fault in that there is something in
    our code that isn't right. They say the have another user where their aspx
    pages with MSAccess are working. I said "but all aspx pages were working
    fine on IIS5...."

    "Line 211: rs.addnew" below is the where the error is highlighted.

    The actual relevant code snip-it is as follows with the runtime error listed
    below that. You also are welcome to test the page at
    http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2005/purchase/select-version.aspx
    with a junk order too - I won't hold you to it:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">

    <%@Page aspcompat=true Language = VB Debug="true"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="aspNetEmail"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="System.Data"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="aspNetMX"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="System.Globalization"%>

    <script language="VB" runat="server">

    Dim strFirstName as String
    Dim strLastName as String
    Dim strExisting as String
    Dim strNumberUsers as String
    Dim strCompany as String
    Dim strTitle as String
    Dim strEmailAddress as String
    Dim strAddress as String
    Dim strCity as String
    Dim strState as String
    Dim strZip as String
    Dim strCountry as String
    Dim strTelephone as String
    Dim strIndustry as String
    Dim strOtherIndustry as String
    Dim strWHSpecific as String
    Dim strComment as String
    Dim strPromoCode as String
    Dim strProductName as String
    Dim dblQuantity as Double
    Dim dblProductPrice as Double
    Dim dblExtension as Double
    Dim dblPromotionalCodeSavings as Double
    Dim dblTotalUSD as Double
    Public Function strProper(strRaw as String) As String
    Dim currentTextInfo
    currentTextInfo = CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.TextInfo
    strProper = currentTextInfo.ToTitleCase(strRaw)
    End Function

    Function bolStoreEntries()
    'Store entries temporarily for populating after validation fail
    '**************************************************************
    strFirstName = Request("FirstName")
    strLastName = Request("LastName")
    strExisting = "No"
    strNumberUsers = Request("NumberUsers")
    strCompany = Request("Company")
    strTitle = Request("Title")
    strEmailAddress = Request("EmailAddress")
    strAddress = Request("Address")
    strCity = Request("City")
    strState = Request("State")
    strZip = Request("Zip")
    strCountry = Request("Country")
    strTelephone = Request("Telephone")
    strIndustry = Request("Industry")
    strOtherIndustry = Request("OtherIndustry")
    strWHSpecific = Request("WhereHeard")
    strComment = Request("Comment")
    End Function

    </script>
    <%
    Dim bolErr as Boolean
    bolStoreEntries
    fCalculatePrices
    If Request("OrderNow") <> "" Then

    'Save to database
    '****************
    Dim strHTML as String
    Dim strlf as String
    Dim strS1 as String
    Dim strS2 as String
    Dim strS3 as String
    Dim strErr as String
    Dim bSuccess as Boolean
    Dim sPath as String
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    Dim lngInvoiceNumber as Long
    Dim lngInvoiceReference as Long

    sPath = "D:\inetpub\www\orbisoft\fpdb\dbOnlineOrders.mdb"

    conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open ("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Persist Security
    Info=TRUE;" & "Data Source=" & sPath, "Admin", "")
    rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    rs.open ("tblOrders", conn, 2, 2)
    rs.addnew

    if Request("FirstName") <> "" then rs("FirstName")=
    strProper(Request("FirstName"))
    if Request("LastName") <> "" then rs("LastName")=
    strProper(Request("LastName"))

    etc...

    And here's the error it now gives (falling over on the 211 rs.addnew line):

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

    Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot
    update. Database or object is read-only.

    Source Error:

    Line 209: rs.open ("tblOrders", conn, 2, 2)
    Line 210:
    Line 211: rs.addnew
    Line 212:
    Line 213: if Request("FirstName") <> "" then rs("FirstName")=
    strProper(Request("FirstName"))

    Source File:
    D:\Inetpub\www\orbisoft\products\taskmanager\2005\purchase\order-details.asp
    x Line: 211

    Stack Trace:

    [COMException (0x80040e09): Cannot update. Database or object is
    read-only.]

    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object
    o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
    CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn) +798
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateCall(Object o,
    Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
    CopyBack) +23
    ASP.order_details_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __output,
    Control parameterContainer) in
    D:\Inetpub\www\orbisoft\products\taskmanager\2005\purchase\order-details.asp
    x:211
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +27
    System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +243

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2300

    Any ideas very much appreciated ....

    Mark
    Mark B, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Try enclosing rs.addnew is a try catch block to get a better
    error message. Sql server is much better for the web than access. MSDE is
    a free version of sql server.

    Try
    rs.addnew
    catch ex as exception
    Response.write(ex.tostring)
    end try

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d1-a0bc-479f-bafa-e4b278eb9147&displaylang=en

    Ken
    ---------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Jul 26, 2005

  3. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    I did that and it didn't catch the rs.addnew error -- it just breezed
    through it and then gave the same error but for the next statement:

    Line 222: if Request("FirstName") <> "" then rs("FirstName")=
    strProper(Request("FirstName"))

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

    Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot
    update. Database or object is read-only.

    Source Error:

    Line 221:
    Line 222: if Request("FirstName") <> "" then rs("FirstName")=
    strProper(Request("FirstName"))
    Line 223: if Request("LastName") <> "" then rs("LastName")=
    strProper(Request("LastName"))
    Line 224: if Request("Company") <> "" then rs("Organization")=
    Request("Company")

    Mark B, Jul 26, 2005
  4. MarkB i have had also such experience using MS ACCESS!!
    If possible try using SQLServer as Ken adviced..
    I would hint you with some fixes...
    1) Have you given the MS ACCESS files the right permission make sure the you
    give the ASPNET acct permission
    Or even if possible the the FOLDERS where the MDB files exist.(Give it
    write, read etc..
    2)Whenever you open and MDB file is sometimes locks it and creates a LDF
    file if i can remember
    3)With Win2003 i think you have to give the FOLDER or your MDB files the
    Network service acct the right permission look ath this blog for that
    http://forums.asp.net/869604/ShowPost.aspx
    Hope that helps
    Patrick

    Patrick.O.Ige, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Hi,

    Any way you could update you code to use ado.net instead of ado?

    Ken
    ----------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Jul 26, 2005
  6. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    I have created an ultra-simple database and aspx test page at:
    http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2005/purchase/test.aspx
    to illustrate that it is still a Windows 2003 Server permissions issue:

    The aspx page HTML is simply:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
    <%@Page aspcompat=true Language = VB Debug="true"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="System.Data"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb"%>
    <%@Import Namespace="System.Globalization"%>

    <%
    Dim sPath as String, conn, rs
    sPath = "D:\inetpub\www\orbisoft\fpdb\db12.mdb"
    conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open ("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=" & sPath)
    rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    rs.open ("Table1", conn, 2, 2)
    rs.addnew
    rs.update
    %>

    It still gives the same error message "Cannot update. Database or object is
    read-only."

    Ken - Do you know what the ADO.NET for the above sample would be?

    Mark B, Jul 26, 2005
  7. Mark B

    Paul Clement Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:35:12 +1200, "Mark B" <> wrote:

    ¤ Our webhost (www.usbusinessweb.net) had a W2K IIS5 server crash after a
    ¤ scheduled hard-boot occurred during a ms-security patch install overnight.
    ¤ They couldn't get the server working again so they transferred our site
    ¤ www.orbisoft.com to a new W2003 IIS6 server they set up.
    ¤
    ¤ That was a week ago.
    ¤
    ¤ Since that transfer, all of our ASPX pages that use Access2000 databases
    ¤ have stopped working.
    ¤
    ¤ Our main one is our "buy" page at
    ¤ http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2005/purchase/select-version.aspx
    ¤ which means potential customers can't purchase there.
    ¤
    ¤ I have shown the error below which essentially says "Cannot update. Database
    ¤ or object is read-only."
    ¤

    What you are experiencing is related to NTFS permissions. If your application is not using
    impersonation then the NetworkService account (the default account under which the thread of your
    application executes under IIS 6.0 and Windows 2003) must have Full permissions to the folder where
    the Access database is located.

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Paul Clement, Jul 26, 2005
  8. It's nothing about IIS.
    In Win2003, there is a change.
    You must give rights to edit data of the directory, where you put the ACCESS
    mdb file in, to the user ASPnet (sorry, I forget the certain name, only be
    similar)
    Allen St.Clair, Jul 28, 2005
  9. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    Yes. From our webhost:

    "Had to redo your permissions in NTFS for /fpdb directories to allow write
    permission for anonymous internet user - and at
    the same time I have verified it is indeed NETWORK SERVICES user that also
    needs write permission on your database directories in addition to anonymous
    internet user, (which wasn't the case in IIS5)"

    Mark B, Jul 28, 2005