IIS6/worker processes/performance counters

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mark, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi...

    We're looking at moving an ASP app from IIS 5 to IIS 6. In general things
    seem to be working okay, but there are some oddities around the edges. One
    of those unanticipated changes has to do with the new process model and the
    option to have more than one worker process per web instance.

    We found that each worker process has its own Application() state and
    anything your app puts there/uses gets a new copy for every worker process.
    So depending on how much initialization your app does in Appication() that
    expense could get paid over and over as IIS 6 cycles worker processes based
    on idleness, load, memory use, etc.

    The facet I still have a question about is performance counters. When you
    have multiple worker processes for a web instance, are the usual performance
    counters like Active Server Pages/Requests Total, Requests Queued, etc
    aggregated across worker processes? How are they impacted by worker process
    cycling? How about custom performance counters? I assume we'd probably have
    to take extra effort to aggregate custom pcounters across worker processes -
    is that right?

    Are there any faqs on the new IIS 6 process model and/or implementing custom
    pcounters for them?

    Thanks
    _mark

    Mark, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Mark

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Mark,

    AS I know, the usual performance counters, like Active Server
    Pages/Requests Total, are counted across all worker processes, and will be
    cleared/changed while worker process cycling. As for how to develop a
    customized performance counter on IIS 6, I suggest you may post the
    question on IIS development related group and you may be lucky enough to
    find a person there who can answer your question.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Apr 1, 2005

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi Luke...

    Thanks for answering. This may be a nitpick, but ASP/Request Total I assume
    would not be cleared by cycling worker processes, would it? I mean, if you
    have a max of 4 or 5 processes, some are likely to be spun up or shut down
    at various points but I'm assuming the following would hold:
    1) you'd never go below 1 worker process

    2) the total count would be in some shared memory location that would
    persist and move upward, even if worker process #2 shuts down.

    I guess Request Total isn't necessarily the most tricky example of how perf
    counters change in the new process model. But then, maybe I'm just being
    myopic. In the old IIS model, Low or Medium isolation made the concept of
    ASP perf counters pretty straightforward, but High isolation would have
    similar issues to the IIS 6 process model. Figuring out what each perf
    counter means in a High isolation context is probably similar to IIS 6 and
    the worker processes.

    Thanks
    _mark

    Mark, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Mark

    [MSFT] Guest

    I think the recyling should be controled by IIS process and I agree with
    you that IIS 6 mode is similar to High isolation in IIS 5.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Apr 4, 2005