IIS7 ASP Response object incompatible with MSXML transformNodeToObject

Anthony Jones

People,

Anyone else got an IIS7 server out there that they can test this little ASP
file:-

<%
Set xml = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.3.0")
xml.loadXML "<root />"

Set xsl = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.3.0")
xsl.loadXML "<xsl:stylesheet
xmlns:xsl=""http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"" version=""1.0"">" & _
"<xsl:eek:utput method=""xml"" encoding=""UTF-8"" />" & _
"<xsl:template match=""root""><ok /></xsl:template>" & _
"</xsl:stylesheet>"

Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"
xml.documentElement.transformNodeToObject xsl, Response

%>

The above works fine on IIS6 and below. On IIS7 however it fails with
0x80004001 Not Implemented on the transformNodeToObject.

It seems something has changed in either MSXML or ASP that breaks this code.

Varitions attempted:-

Use MSXML6: Still Fails
Set Response.CodePage = 65001: Still fails
Set encoding in output element to "Windows-1252": Still fails
Set method to html: Still fails

Pass a different object that implements IStream: Succeeds.

Has Response stop implementing IStream use DOMDocument.Save and pass in the
Response object. That succeeds also so Response still implements IStream.

I note the MSXML3.dll is SP10 on the 2008 server whereas my MSXML3.dll on
the 2003 server is SP9.

Can't find any info on changes though.

Does anyone have any light to shed or can confirm the problem?

Martin Honnen

Anthony said:
xml.documentElement.transformNodeToObject xsl, Response

%>

The above works fine on IIS6 and below. On IIS7 however it fails with
0x80004001 Not Implemented on the transformNodeToObject.

Does it work if you use
xml.transformNodeToObject xsl, Response
?

Anthony Jones

Martin Honnen said:
Does it work if you use
xml.transformNodeToObject xsl, Response
?

Martin, Good idea, still doesn't work though. This does appear to be
specific to the use of transformNodeToObject and the Response object. It
works when other IStream implementers are passed to transformNodeToObject
and other methods that are designed to write to an IStream work with the
Response object.

Martin Honnen

Anthony said:
This does appear to be
specific to the use of transformNodeToObject and the Response object.

As long as you want to create XML with the transformation you could
first transform to an MSXML DOM document and then save that to the
Response object. But writing HTML or plain text as the transformation
result to the Response object does not seem possible then which is quite
a breaking change.

Anthony Jones

Martin Honnen said:
As long as you want to create XML with the transformation you could
first transform to an MSXML DOM document and then save that to the
Response object. But writing HTML or plain text as the transformation
result to the Response object does not seem possible then which is quite
a breaking change.

Exactly, code isn't going to migrate to IIS7 without modification.
Fortunately for myself my real world stuff uses a library so I need only
tweak the library with a workaround, whenever I can come up with one.

For others this could be a more painful experience. I'll try to dig down
further, currently its not clear whether the problem is in SP10 of MSXML or
IIS7s ASP Response object.

Anthony Jones

Anthony Jones said:
[...]

Here is an update on this problem.

MSXML 3.0 SP10 (msxml3.dll 8.100.1043.0) and MSXML 6.0 SP2 (msxml6.dll
6.20.1076.0)

I've only found these on Server 2008 although I haven't checked an XP SP3
machine or Vista SP1.

Both of these now call the Commit method on the IStream interface passed to
the transformNodeToObject method. Previous versions did not do this. The
Response object of ASP does not implement this method and throws an error
when asked to do so.

The work round is to create a Wrapping Implementation of IStream and absorb
the Commit call.

:(