IIS7 on Vista and SQLExpress problem

Guest

Hi,

I wonder if someone could shed some light on this one for me.

I have developed a web app in VS2005 with the built in server. It uses an
sql database, everytihng works.

I need to test it across the network, so i've installed IIS7 on my Vista
machine and created a new website, point at the website's directory. After I
switched to the 'Classic .net' app pool, it shows up on the port.

However, the SQLExpress database is giving me an error...

"An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file ...\thepoint.mdf
failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be
opened, or it is located on UNC share."

The file in question exists, and the whole website directory has Everyone
Full Control permissions, with permission inheritance on, so that should be
fine.

The Visual Studio isntance of this isnt running (im not running visual
studio, the development server, or anything).

My web.config specifies the |DataDirectory|, and my file is in App_Data - in
fact, the database works fine when I run it through VS/Dev Server for
debugging, but it fails on IIS7.

What's going on?!! (and yes, my connection string does specify User
Instance=True.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Guest

I believe this is because the auto-attach feature of SQLEXPRESS only works
for local connections. You will probably need to permanently attach the MDF
database file using the SQLExpress Manager or the appropriate T-SQL Command.
Peter

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Peter's input.

Hi Dan,

My understanding is after you create new website virtual dir on the Vista
IIS7 box, it still point to the web application directory on original
development machine, through a UNC share. Is this your case?

If so, the error may be caused by the SQL Express database file is on
remote location. I suggest you perform the following test:

** copy the entire website to a local physical directory on the vista box
and configure IIS to use the local locaiton to test

** Or as Peter suggested, you can consider directly attach the database
file to the SQL Express instance on VISTA and let your asp.net application
(modify connectionstring) connect that attached database to see whether it
works.

If there is any other finding, please feel free to post here also.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Guest

Hi Steven,

Unfortunately, there is no UNC share involved - that's why I don't
understand it too well. VS, the website, the mdf, IIS7, firefox... all on the
C: drive of my laptop (Vista Ultimate).

Peter's suggestion sounds like it would break the SQL database in Visual
Studio? I still want to be able to run the site from VS as well for debugging
purposes.

Is it possible to make all this work, all I wanted to do was test my site in
IE6 :(

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Dan,

Don't worry, we can try locating the problem step by step. I suggest you
try make the SQL Express database attached into the SQLExpress instance or
any other instance temporarly for test to see whether it works. If it
works, we can make sure that the problem just focus on the database
connection's establishment.

From: =?Utf-8?B?bXVzb3NkZXY=?= <[email protected]>

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dan,

Any progress on this issue? Please feel free to post here if you need any
help on this.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 03:04:25 GMT
Subject: RE: IIS7 on Vista and SQLExpress problem