I'll buy you a latte....

jim

....or the beverage of your choice at your local Starbucks if you can help me
find a working code sample in VB.Net 2005 that shows a webpage hosting a
webbrowser activex control.

OK....it *is* a crazy request.....so make that 2 of your favorite beverages.
One for you and one for a friend.

jim

Just Me

I dont have any freinds because Im a recluse, and I only drink tap water.

I have done this before, so I know its possible, but I dont have a sample to
share unfortunately.

:)

jim

Goggled til I turned blue.....

The first link returned has nothing to do with hosting a webbrowser activex
control in a webpage. It is about hosting a webbrowser control (different
from a webbrowser activex control now that there is a crippled webbrowser
control included in the .Net toolbox) and using it to post to a webpage.

Thanks though.....

jim

What would it take for you to reach way down in the basement of your mind
and reproduce an example?

jim

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> The first link returned has nothing to do with hosting a webbrowser activex
!> control in a webpage. It is about hosting a webbrowser control (different
!> from a webbrowser activex control now that there is a crippled webbrowser
!> control included in the .Net toolbox) and using it to post to a webpage

If that's so, the guy who wrote the article doesn't know what he's writing about when he writes that :

<quote>
"This article discusses how to use the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*
in Microsoft Visual Basic .NET to post form data."
</quote>

How is the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*, which the article describes,
different from the "webbrowser activex control" which you are referring to ?

What does what you refer to as a "webbrowser activex control" do,
which the *WebBrowser ActiveX control* described in the article doesn't do, in your judgment ?

jim

To show and extreme version of the ability of activeX controls to be hosted
in different environments. What's more extreme than hosting a control
inside another instance of itself to show the flexibility and usability of
activex controls?

Doing so on a webpage simply drives home the fact that you are viewing a
control via in instance of that same control.

At least that's what I'm being told.....

jim

jim

re:

about when he writes that :

<quote>
"This article discusses how to use the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*
in Microsoft Visual Basic .NET to post form data."
</quote>

Please take note of the portion "to post form data". This is a use of the
activex control (I was wrong in stating that it was not), but it is not in a
webpage. The author explicitly states that the control is used on a windows
form under the "Create the Visual Basic .Net Sample Project" heading.
?

What does what you refer to as a "webbrowser activex control" do,
which the *WebBrowser ActiveX control* described in the article doesn't
do, in your judgment ?

I made a mistake and was thinking of another article to which I was also
replying at the time. The link that you gave does show the use of the
webbrowser activex control (not the pitiful webbrowser control built into
the .Net toolbox that I referred to).

However, the web is littered with examples of using the webbrowser control
(both activex and .Net versions) in windows forms. What I need to do is to
use it in a webpage to fulfill the requirements for this project.

jim

Juan T. Llibre

You did not answer Peter's question :

What do you want the webbrowser control to do ?
Why would you host a webbrowser inside a web browser ?

If you want to display info...you can use an Iframe.
If you want to scrape info from another server, you can use the WebClient class.

Specifically, why do you want to embed a webbrowser control into a web browser ?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> What I need to do is to use it in a webpage to fulfill the requirements for this project

I'll refer you to my just-sent reply. You need to be more specific.

Exactly, *what* do you want to achieve with a webbrowser control,
that can't be achieved using an Iframe or the webClient .Net class ?

Tools have specific uses.
Using a hammer as a screwdriver isn't likely to be better than using a screwdriver.

William LaMartin

Is it not true (I am pretty sure that this was the case way back) that to
use this control, the computer on which it is used need to have Internet
Explorer installed? That certainly wouldn't be the case for a web server.

jim

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> What I need to do is to use it in a webpage to fulfill the requirements
for this project

I'll refer you to my just-sent reply. You need to be more specific.

Exactly, *what* do you want to achieve with a webbrowser control,
that can't be achieved using an Iframe or the webClient .Net class ?

What do I want to achieve? I want to keep my job. I have been given the
assinine task to create a webpage that hosts a webbrowser control to show as
an example in a beginner's class on activex controls within the company.

That is my task. Did I object? Sure. But, it didn't do a damned bit of
good. They want what they want - logic be damned.

Is that a good enough explanation for you?

And, now that we have spent so much time together, do you have the requested
information or not? I am really under a tight deadline and must concentrate
on solving this problem.

Thanks for your interest.

jim

jim

Juan, thanks for your interest, but please go away.

You obviously have no information that would help to attain the ridiculous
goals that my management staff is requiring of me and you seem to be "one of
those" argumentative MVPs that are more full of themselves than full of
knowledge. (I've run into them before.)

If you really knew how to host the webbrowser control in a webpage, you
would not give a tinker's damn as to why and would simply answer the
question, get your lattes and be on your way. But, argument seems to be
your goal - not the spreading of knowledge to one who is on desperate need
of it.

If Peter does not understand my response, I am sure that he is quite capable
of expressing that. Your post here shows that you are simply out to stir up
crap.

I am blocking your posts now because I have a coding problem to solve and
simply do not have the time to waste with your argumentative hogwash.

jim

jim said:
To show and extreme version of the ability of activeX controls to be
hosted in different environments. What's more extreme than hosting a
control inside another instance of itself to show the flexibility and
usability of activex controls?

Doing so on a webpage simply drives home the fact that you are viewing a
control via in instance of that same control.

At least that's what I'm being told.....

jim

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I think the main question here would be "why do you want to host a
webbrowser
control in a web page?".
In other words, what is the goal?
-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

:

William LaMartin said:
Is it not true (I am pretty sure that this was the case way back) that to
use this control, the computer on which it is used need to have Internet
Explorer installed? That certainly wouldn't be the case for a web server.

The activex control being used on the webpage should try and install on the
viewer's PC if IE is not already installed on the viewing PC. Seeing as how
IE is installed on all Windows PCs, the only possible problem would be that
of version of IE is installed on the viewer's PC. Even then, the viewing PC
should try and install the activeX control and run the page.

So far, the specs only call for using Windows PCs (for both server and
clients). I haven't been directed to do the impossible and run an activex
control on MAC or Linux just yet - but it wouldn't surprise me any if I
were.

jim

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> What do I want to achieve? I want to keep my job. I have been given the
!> assinine task to create a webpage that hosts a webbrowser control to show as
!> an example in a beginner's class on activex controls within the company.

Tell them it's an assinine request which doesn't make any sense,
for the reasons which have been explained to you.

re:
!> Is that a good enough explanation for you?

Nope. It's an explanation, but not a justiffication.

You should tell whomever it was who gave you that "task",
that there's better instruments to achieve what they request.

Specifically, tell them that Iframes and the webClient class can do what
they request...without embedding a web browser inside another web browser.

re:
!> And, now that we have spent so much time together, do you have the requested information or not?

I feel that I'd be giving you inforrmation which will serve for you to hang yourself.
As said before, hammers should be used as hammers, not as screwdrivers.

re:
!> I am really under a tight deadline and must concentrate on solving this problem

<shrug>

I wouldn't waste any time on a "problem" which is not a logical problem.

You should save your effforts for *real* problems...and you should tell
whomever it was that requested you dedicate effort to solve a non-problem,
that there's better ways to do what they requested.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> attain the ridiculous goals that my management staff is requiring of me

All that I'm saying is that you should tell them it's a ridiculous goal, and you admit it is.

re:
!> Juan, thanks for your interest, but please go away

Actually, part of what I do is keep this newsgroup focused on worthhile problems.

Since you admit that the goal which has been set for you is ridiculous,
if I were you, I'd consider *not posting ridiculous goals to this newsgroup*.

re:
!> "one of those" argumentative MVPs that are more full of themselves than full of knowledge

Hey, I've given you solid reasons.
If you think they are "argumentative", you should consider why you think that way.

Of course, you can waste your time as you see fit, but wasting the valuable time
of many people who subscribe to this newsgroup in order to find answers to real
problems, or to help, like 2 MVPs have already attempted to help you, seems odd.

Good luck with the ridiculous goal, as you yourself describe it, you've been tasked with.

Scott M.

Juan T. Llibre said:
Actually, part of what I do is keep this newsgroup focused on worthhile
problems.

I couldn't help but jump into the fray here. That last comment is
ludicrous, since no one has asked you to be a moderator for this (or any
other newsgroup). People are free to post any question they want (even if
it is ludicrous) - it's not now, or ever, been YOUR job to editorialize the
validity of those posts.

It's clear that Jim has a question related to the NG. It's also clear that
he has no choice in doing what he's been asked. Not everyone has the kind
of employee/employer relationship where they can just tell the powers that
be that their assignment is ridiculous. I'd say keeping your boss happy is
a problem worth solving.

jim

Scott M. said:
I couldn't help but jump into the fray here. That last comment is
ludicrous, since no one has asked you to be a moderator for this (or any
other newsgroup). People are free to post any question they want (even if
it is ludicrous) - it's not now, or ever, been YOUR job to editorialize
the validity of those posts.

It's clear that Jim has a question related to the NG. It's also clear
that he has no choice in doing what he's been asked. Not everyone has the
kind of employee/employer relationship where they can just tell the powers
that be that their assignment is ridiculous. I'd say keeping your boss
happy is a problem worth solving.

Thanks Scott.

And, since this information seems so difficult to find, should I find it - I
will host a webpage with the source code so that others may learn from it.

jim

james

I don't think that the WebBrowser control in VB.Net 2005 would act that way.
Nor would Internet Explorer
popup the Request to Install ActiveX control dialog like it would if you
where going to a website that had
content that required a particular control to be installed ( like Flash
Player or something similar) to view that
content. For one thing, if you are running Internet Explorer, there is
already an instance of the control there.
At the most, it would just pop up another instance of Internet Explorer and
display the content.
And I don't think you could get FireFox to do it either.
At least, this is what I am getting from your statements.
If I have mis-understood your question, I am sorry. But, that is what it
appears to me you are trying to do.
james