    OK....it *is* a crazy request.....so make that 2 of your favorite beverages.
    One for you and one for a friend.

    jim
    jim, Sep 16, 2007

  2. jim

    Just Me Guest

    I dont have any freinds because Im a recluse, and I only drink tap water.

    I have done this before, so I know its possible, but I dont have a sample to
    share unfortunately.

    :)

    Just Me, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Did you try googling for

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="webbrowser activex control" "asp.net"

    ???

    The first link returned is :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311294

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 16, 2007
  4. jim

    jim Guest

    Goggled til I turned blue.....

    The first link returned has nothing to do with hosting a webbrowser activex
    control in a webpage. It is about hosting a webbrowser control (different
    from a webbrowser activex control now that there is a crippled webbrowser
    control included in the .Net toolbox) and using it to post to a webpage.

    Thanks though.....

    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  5. jim

    jim Guest

    What would it take for you to reach way down in the basement of your mind
    and reproduce an example?

    jim

    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  6. re:
    !> The first link returned has nothing to do with hosting a webbrowser activex
    !> control in a webpage. It is about hosting a webbrowser control (different
    !> from a webbrowser activex control now that there is a crippled webbrowser
    !> control included in the .Net toolbox) and using it to post to a webpage

    If that's so, the guy who wrote the article doesn't know what he's writing about when he writes that :

    <quote>
    "This article discusses how to use the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*
    in Microsoft Visual Basic .NET to post form data."
    </quote>

    How is the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*, which the article describes,
    different from the "webbrowser activex control" which you are referring to ?

    What does what you refer to as a "webbrowser activex control" do,
    which the *WebBrowser ActiveX control* described in the article doesn't do, in your judgment ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 16, 2007
  7. I think the main question here would be "why do you want to host a webbrowser
    control in a web page?".
    In other words, what is the goal?
    -- Peter
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Sep 16, 2007
  8. jim

    jim Guest

    To show and extreme version of the ability of activeX controls to be hosted
    in different environments. What's more extreme than hosting a control
    inside another instance of itself to show the flexibility and usability of
    activex controls?

    Doing so on a webpage simply drives home the fact that you are viewing a
    control via in instance of that same control.

    At least that's what I'm being told.....

    jim

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  9. jim

    jim Guest

    > re:
    > !> The first link returned has nothing to do with hosting a webbrowser
    > activex
    > !> control in a webpage. It is about hosting a webbrowser control
    > (different
    > !> from a webbrowser activex control now that there is a crippled
    > webbrowser
    > !> control included in the .Net toolbox) and using it to post to a webpage
    >
    > If that's so, the guy who wrote the article doesn't know what he's writing
    > about when he writes that :
    >
    > <quote>
    > "This article discusses how to use the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*
    > in Microsoft Visual Basic .NET to post form data."
    > </quote>

    Please take note of the portion "to post form data". This is a use of the
    activex control (I was wrong in stating that it was not), but it is not in a
    webpage. The author explicitly states that the control is used on a windows
    form under the "Create the Visual Basic .Net Sample Project" heading.

    > How is the *WebBrowser ActiveX control*, which the article describes,
    > different from the "webbrowser activex control" which you are referring to
    > ?
    >
    > What does what you refer to as a "webbrowser activex control" do,
    > which the *WebBrowser ActiveX control* described in the article doesn't
    > do, in your judgment ?

    I made a mistake and was thinking of another article to which I was also
    replying at the time. The link that you gave does show the use of the
    webbrowser activex control (not the pitiful webbrowser control built into
    the .Net toolbox that I referred to).

    However, the web is littered with examples of using the webbrowser control
    (both activex and .Net versions) in windows forms. What I need to do is to
    use it in a webpage to fulfill the requirements for this project.

    jim
    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  10. You did not answer Peter's question :

    What do you want the webbrowser control to do ?
    Why would you host a webbrowser inside a web browser ?

    If you want to display info...you can use an Iframe.
    If you want to scrape info from another server, you can use the WebClient class.

    Specifically, why do you want to embed a webbrowser control into a web browser ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 16, 2007
  11. re:
    !> What I need to do is to use it in a webpage to fulfill the requirements for this project

    I'll refer you to my just-sent reply. You need to be more specific.

    Exactly, *what* do you want to achieve with a webbrowser control,
    that can't be achieved using an Iframe or the webClient .Net class ?

    Tools have specific uses.
    Using a hammer as a screwdriver isn't likely to be better than using a screwdriver.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 16, 2007
  12. Is it not true (I am pretty sure that this was the case way back) that to
    use this control, the computer on which it is used need to have Internet
    Explorer installed? That certainly wouldn't be the case for a web server.

    William LaMartin, Sep 16, 2007
  13. jim

    jim Guest

    > re:
    > !> What I need to do is to use it in a webpage to fulfill the requirements
    > for this project
    >
    > I'll refer you to my just-sent reply. You need to be more specific.
    >
    > Exactly, *what* do you want to achieve with a webbrowser control,
    > that can't be achieved using an Iframe or the webClient .Net class ?

    What do I want to achieve? I want to keep my job. I have been given the
    assinine task to create a webpage that hosts a webbrowser control to show as
    an example in a beginner's class on activex controls within the company.

    That is my task. Did I object? Sure. But, it didn't do a damned bit of
    good. They want what they want - logic be damned.

    Is that a good enough explanation for you?

    And, now that we have spent so much time together, do you have the requested
    information or not? I am really under a tight deadline and must concentrate
    on solving this problem.

    Thanks for your interest.

    jim
    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  14. jim

    jim Guest

    Juan, thanks for your interest, but please go away.

    You obviously have no information that would help to attain the ridiculous
    goals that my management staff is requiring of me and you seem to be "one of
    those" argumentative MVPs that are more full of themselves than full of
    knowledge. (I've run into them before.)

    If you really knew how to host the webbrowser control in a webpage, you
    would not give a tinker's damn as to why and would simply answer the
    question, get your lattes and be on your way. But, argument seems to be
    your goal - not the spreading of knowledge to one who is on desperate need
    of it.

    If Peter does not understand my response, I am sure that he is quite capable
    of expressing that. Your post here shows that you are simply out to stir up
    crap.

    I am blocking your posts now because I have a coding problem to solve and
    simply do not have the time to waste with your argumentative hogwash.

    jim

    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  15. jim

    jim Guest

    "William LaMartin" <> wrote in message
    > Is it not true (I am pretty sure that this was the case way back) that to
    > use this control, the computer on which it is used need to have Internet
    > Explorer installed? That certainly wouldn't be the case for a web server.

    The activex control being used on the webpage should try and install on the
    viewer's PC if IE is not already installed on the viewing PC. Seeing as how
    IE is installed on all Windows PCs, the only possible problem would be that
    of version of IE is installed on the viewer's PC. Even then, the viewing PC
    should try and install the activeX control and run the page.

    So far, the specs only call for using Windows PCs (for both server and
    clients). I haven't been directed to do the impossible and run an activex
    control on MAC or Linux just yet - but it wouldn't surprise me any if I
    were.

    jim

    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  16. re:
    !> What do I want to achieve? I want to keep my job. I have been given the
    !> assinine task to create a webpage that hosts a webbrowser control to show as
    !> an example in a beginner's class on activex controls within the company.

    Tell them it's an assinine request which doesn't make any sense,
    for the reasons which have been explained to you.

    re:
    !> Is that a good enough explanation for you?

    Nope. It's an explanation, but not a justiffication.

    You should tell whomever it was who gave you that "task",
    that there's better instruments to achieve what they request.

    Specifically, tell them that Iframes and the webClient class can do what
    they request...without embedding a web browser inside another web browser.

    re:
    !> And, now that we have spent so much time together, do you have the requested information or not?

    I feel that I'd be giving you inforrmation which will serve for you to hang yourself.
    As said before, hammers should be used as hammers, not as screwdrivers.

    re:
    !> I am really under a tight deadline and must concentrate on solving this problem

    <shrug>

    I wouldn't waste any time on a "problem" which is not a logical problem.

    You should save your effforts for *real* problems...and you should tell
    whomever it was that requested you dedicate effort to solve a non-problem,
    that there's better ways to do what they requested.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 16, 2007
  17. re:
    !> attain the ridiculous goals that my management staff is requiring of me

    All that I'm saying is that you should tell them it's a ridiculous goal, and you admit it is.

    re:
    !> Juan, thanks for your interest, but please go away

    Actually, part of what I do is keep this newsgroup focused on worthhile problems.

    Since you admit that the goal which has been set for you is ridiculous,
    if I were you, I'd consider *not posting ridiculous goals to this newsgroup*.

    re:
    !> "one of those" argumentative MVPs that are more full of themselves than full of knowledge

    Hey, I've given you solid reasons.
    If you think they are "argumentative", you should consider why you think that way.

    Of course, you can waste your time as you see fit, but wasting the valuable time
    of many people who subscribe to this newsgroup in order to find answers to real
    problems, or to help, like 2 MVPs have already attempted to help you, seems odd.

    Good luck with the ridiculous goal, as you yourself describe it, you've been tasked with.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 16, 2007
  18. jim

    Scott M. Guest

    > Actually, part of what I do is keep this newsgroup focused on worthhile
    > problems.

    I couldn't help but jump into the fray here. That last comment is
    ludicrous, since no one has asked you to be a moderator for this (or any
    other newsgroup). People are free to post any question they want (even if
    it is ludicrous) - it's not now, or ever, been YOUR job to editorialize the
    validity of those posts.

    It's clear that Jim has a question related to the NG. It's also clear that
    he has no choice in doing what he's been asked. Not everyone has the kind
    of employee/employer relationship where they can just tell the powers that
    be that their assignment is ridiculous. I'd say keeping your boss happy is
    a problem worth solving.
    Scott M., Sep 16, 2007
  19. jim

    jim Guest

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message

    > "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    >> Actually, part of what I do is keep this newsgroup focused on worthhile
    >> problems.

    > I couldn't help but jump into the fray here. That last comment is
    > ludicrous, since no one has asked you to be a moderator for this (or any
    > other newsgroup). People are free to post any question they want (even if
    > it is ludicrous) - it's not now, or ever, been YOUR job to editorialize
    > the validity of those posts.
    >
    > It's clear that Jim has a question related to the NG. It's also clear
    > that he has no choice in doing what he's been asked. Not everyone has the
    > kind of employee/employer relationship where they can just tell the powers
    > that be that their assignment is ridiculous. I'd say keeping your boss
    > happy is a problem worth solving.

    Thanks Scott.

    And, since this information seems so difficult to find, should I find it - I
    will host a webpage with the source code so that others may learn from it.

    jim
    jim, Sep 16, 2007
  20. jim

    james Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message

    > "William LaMartin" <> wrote in message
    >> "jim" <> wrote in message
    >>> ...or the beverage of your choice at your local Starbucks if you can
    >>> help me find a working code sample in VB.Net 2005 that shows a webpage
    >>> hosting a webbrowser activex control.
    >>>
    >>> OK....it *is* a crazy request.....so make that 2 of your favorite
    >>> beverages. One for you and one for a friend.
    >>>
    >>> jim

    I don't think that the WebBrowser control in VB.Net 2005 would act that way.
    Nor would Internet Explorer
    popup the Request to Install ActiveX control dialog like it would if you
    where going to a website that had
    content that required a particular control to be installed ( like Flash
    Player or something similar) to view that
    content. For one thing, if you are running Internet Explorer, there is
    already an instance of the control there.
    At the most, it would just pop up another instance of Internet Explorer and
    display the content.
    And I don't think you could get FireFox to do it either.
    At least, this is what I am getting from your statements.
    If I have mis-understood your question, I am sorry. But, that is what it
    appears to me you are trying to do.
    james
    james, Sep 16, 2007