illegal characters

Paul Young

Hi I am a XML novice so apologies if this is a pretty dumb question. I have
thousands of small XML documents which, when checked through XMLSPY, appear
to be well formed and valid. However when opened in Internet Explorer some
are deemed invalid due the use of an illegal character, the "#" sign.

Which of the two packages are correct and why is there a difference?

Many thanks

Paul Y

Martin Honnen

Paul said:
I have
thousands of small XML documents which, when checked through XMLSPY, appear
to be well formed and valid. However when opened in Internet Explorer some
are deemed invalid due the use of an illegal character, the "#" sign.

Which of the two packages are correct and why is there a difference?

Can you post a URL to an example document?
When internet explorer loads a document I am not sure it validates at
all, does it really display a message that the document is invalid?
Illegal character sounds more like a problem with encodings respectively
the parser trying to interpret the byte sequence according to the
declared encodind and then finding a problem.