I'm amazed of the intense inefficiency of Soap Error messages!...

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Vince C., Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Vince C.

    Vince C. Guest

    Hi.

    I've been facing problems many times with Soap Toolkit 3.0 and ASP clients. And
    I never got help of any kind with logged messages even if they verbose a maximum
    of information. They simply log everything but useful: what endpoint URL? what
    was the stream? What length? Was it XML? Was it UTF-8? Was it Unicode? Was it
    iso-8859-1? Was it because an internal object was not instantiated? Was the user
    authenticated?

    Apart from the "unexpected error", which is shorter and saves space, there is
    nothing helpful in those error messages. I've always had to either start another
    project or launch a TCP/IP tracer to gather more... or just accurate
    information, simply.

    I don't count the hours I spent debugging an error like:

    Soap error: XML Parser failed at linenumber 1, lineposition 0, reason is: No
    data available for the specified resource.

    Full stop. There's an error and I've got to investigate where it's hidden.
    Especially hurting when you're in a hurry. But that's another story.

    Vince C.

    Vince C., Jan 12, 2004

  2. Vince C.

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Vince,

    I think you may consider ungrading to ASP.NET and Web service. In VS.NET
    IDE, it will be easier to debug a web serivce or a XML document. You can
    review this article and determine if this make sense:

    Migrating from the SOAP Toolkit to Web Services
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
    ml/migrsoapwebserv.asp

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    MSFT, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Vince C.

    Vince C. Guest

    "MSFT" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Hi Vince,
    >
    > I think you may consider ungrading to ASP.NET and Web service. In VS.NET
    > IDE, it will be easier to debug a web serivce or a XML document. You can
    > review this article and determine if this make sense:
    >
    > Migrating from the SOAP Toolkit to Web Services
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/ht
    > ml/migrsoapwebserv.asp

    Thanks for bearing my grins, Luke. But I may not migrate. This will definitely
    be part of my experience in traditional ASP/COM.

    I don't plan to step to .NET. I've got years of experience in "traditional"
    development that I still want to keep. Dot NET is not an option for me as we
    already have team members in that discipline. I'll continue enhancing my domain
    of knowledge and to add value to it.

    Vince C.

    Vince C., Jan 14, 2004