I'm dumb, you're not... can you help me?

When You Need to Tell Someone

I saw a javascript popup that I just loved, and I'd like it on my new
website.

I think it involved CSS, but I have no clue. It was a rollover popup,
with a "pop" sound, and the image that popped up looked like a
"conversation bubble" for lack of a better word. It must have been a
GIF because the background color was transparent.

Would it be possible to impliment this popup, say 50 times, on a
webpage... or would that slow down the loading of the page too much?

An answer to my question, and the code itself, is required. Can you
assist?

RobG

I saw a javascript popup that I just loved, and I'd like it on my new
website.

The novelty of pop-ups, tool-tips and other visual effects wears of
very quickly and they become distracting annoyances. Such features
should be used sparingly and only where they help the user to do
something. They shouldn't be used simply because they can.

I think it involved CSS, but I have no clue. It was a rollover popup,
with a "pop" sound, and the image that popped up looked like a
"conversation bubble" for lack of a better word. It must have been a
GIF because the background color was transparent.

Transparency is not limited to GIF images, the pop-up likely employed
CSS, HTML and script, and perhaps Flash as well. Did you look at the
source?

Would it be possible to impliment this popup, say 50 times, on a
webpage...

I can't see why not, other than the usability issue noted above.

or would that slow down the loading of the page too much?

If done well, no. If done badly, yes.

An answer to my question, and the code itself, is required.

There were two questions, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Can you assist?

It is more appropriate to have a go at it yourself, then ask questions
about how to fix problems or improve features. A request for free
code in a public forum for what is a reasonably complex effect is not
likely to be answered with robust, quality code.

If you want some idea of what you are getting into, try:

That is not a recommendation to use Walter's code or an endorsement,
it's intended to illustrated what is required to develop some
reasonably general purpose tool-tip code.

Stevo

RobG said:
It is more appropriate to have a go at it yourself, then ask questions
about how to fix problems or improve features. A request for free
code in a public forum for what is a reasonably complex effect is not
likely to be answered with robust, quality code.
Rob

What you're asking for here is for someone to do everything for you and
hand it to you on a plate for free. You can compare it to a real world
example where you've found a plumbers forum and said you saw a great
bathroom in someone's house, can someone please install such a bathroom
in your house for free please. What Rob's saying is, if you have a go at
installing your bathroom (build your speech bubble popups) for yourself,
and you encounter any problems, then by all means ask for advice and
help here, but don't expect anyone to do the whole job for you, for free.