I'm happy with Python 2.5

Discussion in 'Python' started by n00m, Feb 27, 2011.

  1. n00m

    n00m Guest

    Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    (Intel)] on win32

    and Idon't move neither up nor down from it (the best & the fastest
    version)

    n00m, Feb 27, 2011

  2. n00m

    n00m Guest

    Python 3 is a tempor. lapse of reason.
    Just my an intuitive sensation, nothing objective in it.

    n00m, Feb 27, 2011

  3. On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 05:34:44 -0800, n00m wrote:

    > Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    > (Intel)] on win32
    >
    > and Idon't move neither up nor down from it (the best & the fastest
    > version)

    Congratulations.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Feb 27, 2011
  4. n00m

    n00m Guest

    Steve, see a list of accepted langs there, in bottom dropdown:
    http://www.spoj.pl/submit/ There *was* Python 2.6.
    Then admins shifted back to 2.5. People vote by their legs.

    n00m, Feb 27, 2011
  5. what the hell does that have to do with anything

    Grigory Javadyan, Feb 27, 2011
  6. n00m

    n00m Guest

    On Feb 27, 3:58 pm, Grigory Javadyan <>
    wrote:
    > what the hell does that have to do with anything
    >
    > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM, n00m <> wrote:
    > > Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    > > (Intel)] on win32

    > > and Idon't move neither up nor down from it (the best & the fastest
    > > version)
    > > --

    Am I turmoiling your wishful thinking?
    You may nourish it till the end of time.

    n00m, Feb 27, 2011
  7. n00m

    n00m Guest

    http://www.spoj.pl/problems/TMUL/

    Python's "print a * b" gets Time Limit Exceeded.

    PHP's code
    fscanf(STDIN, "%d\n", &$tcs);
    while ($tcs--) {
    fscanf(STDIN, "%s %s\n", &$n, &$m);
    echo bcmul($n, $m, 0)."\n";
    does it in 4.8s

    n00m, Feb 27, 2011
  8. n00m

    Tom Zych Guest

    n00m wrote:
    > Am I turmoiling your wishful thinking?
    > You may nourish it till the end of time.

    Let us cease to nourish those fabled ones who dwell under bridges.

    --
    Tom Zych /

    Tom Zych, Feb 27, 2011
  9. n00m

    Peter Parker Guest

    On 02/27/2011 09:27 AM, Tom Zych wrote:
    > n00m wrote:
    >> Am I turmoiling your wishful thinking?
    >> You may nourish it till the end of time.

    > Let us cease to nourish those fabled ones who dwell under bridges.

    LOL !

    Peter Parker, Mar 3, 2011
  10. n00m

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 7:15 AM, n00m <> wrote:
    > http://www.spoj.pl/problems/TMUL/
    >
    > Python's "print a * b" gets Time Limit Exceeded.

    If speed is the only thing you care about, then you can forget about
    fretting over whether 2.5 or 3.1 is faster. You're using the wrong
    language to begin with.

    Ian Kelly, Mar 3, 2011
  11. On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:43:12 -0700, Ian Kelly wrote:

    > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 7:15 AM, n00m <> wrote:
    >> http://www.spoj.pl/problems/TMUL/
    >>
    >> Python's "print a * b" gets Time Limit Exceeded.

    > If speed is the only thing you care about, then you can forget about
    > fretting over whether 2.5 or 3.1 is faster. You're using the wrong
    > language to begin with.

    Surely that depends on whether you care about execution speed or
    development speed.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Mar 6, 2011
  12. n00m

    Tom Zych Guest

    Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:43:12 -0700, Ian Kelly wrote:
    >> If speed is the only thing you care about, then you can forget about
    >> fretting over whether 2.5 or 3.1 is faster. You're using the wrong
    >> language to begin with.

    > Surely that depends on whether you care about execution speed or
    > development speed.

    s/care/care more/. People generally care about both to /some/ extent.
    (Probably being over-pedantic again...)

    --
    Tom Zych /
    "Would you like a lovely fluffy little white rabbit, little girl,

    Tom Zych, Mar 6, 2011
  13. On 02/27/2011 06:57 AM, n00m wrote:
    > Steve, see a list of accepted langs there, in bottom dropdown:
    > http://www.spoj.pl/submit/ There *was* Python 2.6.
    > Then admins shifted back to 2.5. People vote by their legs.

    rr, is that you?

    Michael Torrie, Mar 6, 2011
  14. On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Tom Zych <> wrote:
    > n00m wrote:
    >> Am I turmoiling your wishful thinking?
    >> You may nourish it till the end of time.

    > Let us cease to nourish those fabled ones who dwell under bridges.

    +1 QOTW.

    Geremy Condra

    geremy condra, Mar 6, 2011
  15. n00m

    n00m Guest

    On Mar 6, 7:25 pm, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > On 02/27/2011 06:57 AM, n00m wrote:
    >
    > > Steve, see a list of accepted langs there, in bottom dropdown:
    > >http://www.spoj.pl/submit/There *was* Python 2.6.
    > > Then admins shifted back to 2.5. People vote by their legs.

    > rr, is that you?

    Are you asking me?
    If so, my account there is http://www.spoj.pl/users/zzz/

    n00m, Mar 6, 2011
  16. n00m

    n00m Guest

    PS
    The winner (just a schoolboy) of IOI 2009 lives in my town,
    not very far from my house. I'm proud to have such a neibour.
    His account on spoj: http://www.spoj.pl/users/tourist/
    Of course he's also registered on many other online judge systems,
    incl. www.topcoder.com

    n00m, Mar 6, 2011
  17. n00m

    alex23 Guest

    On Feb 27, 11:57 pm, n00m <> wrote:
    > http://www.spoj.pl/

    There's your problem. I'd say most Python 3.x adopters are using it
    for something other than working out whose performance dick is the
    longest.

    alex23, Mar 7, 2011
  18. On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:28:19 -0800, alex23 wrote:

    > On Feb 27, 11:57 pm, n00m <> wrote:
    >> http://www.spoj.pl/

    > There's your problem. I'd say most Python 3.x adopters are using it for
    > something other than working out whose performance dick is the longest.

    In fairness, the Python Dev team is very aware of the risk of performance
    degradation. Performance is important, but it is not *so important* that
    it outweighs everything else.

    The question that needs to be asked is not "Is Python 3 fast?", but
    instead "Is Python 3 fast enough?".

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Mar 7, 2011
  19. n00m

    n00m Guest

    n00m, Mar 7, 2011
  20. n00m

    Brian Guest

    While some may see this thread as troll candy, others may not.
    We want cake. And we need to eat it.

    Doing a lot of instrument control and data acquisition stuff.
    And a short dev period has same importance as short run time.

    As for the safety of those that dwell under and walk over
    bridges, yes I wrote a strain gage calibrator system that was
    used by a civil engr for monitoring a bridge.

    Brian, Mar 7, 2011