I'm in asp.net 1.1 hell....re debugging and breakpoints.

Randy Magruder

Attn: Asp.net gurus...if anyone can help, I hope it's here.

Okay, I'm at my wits end. I have googled til my fingers hurt and am
still not finding answers.

The symptoms are as follows:

1. I have 2 machines, my laptop and a desktop, both are set up for
asp.net development.
2. The desktop machine has an asp.net 1.1 app written with vs.net
2003. It is written in vb.net and runs and debugs properly
3. The laptop also will debug the vb.net 1.1 app
4. Both machines will also debug a C# asp.net 1.1 app with no problems.
5. Converted the vb.net app to C#. Can't get a page_load breakpoint
on the main.aspx to EVER stop.
- All the debug checklist items I can find are taken care of
a. Projects are built in debug mode
b. All the Web Site properties seem to be set properly for
asp.net debugging,
c. I belong to the debugger users group
d. I've deleted all the 'extra' copies of dll's lying around,
purged the temporary asp.net files cache, etc.
e. Again, remember that simple hello world c# apps along with
the large vb.net ALL debug, so the machines seem to be configured
correctly.
f. the web.configs are properly configured with debug= true

Nonetheless, no breakpoints get hit in the Page_load of the main.aspx
that loads. It just goes right through it and redirects to login.aspx,
whose breakpoints on Page_Load are ALSO ignored.

There are no question marks in the breakpoint margins or any other
indication that symbols are missing or not loaded. The binaries are up
to date. Every freaking thing I can find on google or msdn or anywhere
seems to tell me that the debugger should stop just fine. But instead
it just whizzes right through the code.

It can't be the language, as it stops in page_load of simple 'demo' C#
asp.net apps

It can't be the machine, as both debug vb.net and 'simple' C# asp.net
apps just fine.

It can't be cached dll's built with release info, as I deleted all the
dll's I could find (in both my documents and below, and in the
temporary asp.net directories....

It can't be web.config, as it is identical to those projects that DO
debug.

It can't be machine.config, as obviously other apps on the same machine
DO debug.

It can't be vs.net, as I've tested all this stuff on both Vs.net 2003
and bds2006.

It can't be multiple versions of asp.net, as I removed asp.net 2.0 from
my machine to eliminate any confusion.

It can't be re-starting IIS or re-running aspnet_regiis, as I've run
that til I'm blue in the face.

It can't be a debug='false' in the page header, as those are not there.

It can't be re-installing IIS as I've done that.

Can someone with a degree in the black art of asp.net tell me something
that I have NOT tried? It's killing me here that no breakpoints EVER
get hit here...and yet I can debug 'simple' apps with no problem.

Thanks to anyone who has an idea what piece of obscure asp.net trivia
I've missed.

Randy

Randy Magruder

Follow-up with more information for those keeping score.

Since I Couldn't debug, I decided to actually add some code to the
Page_Load() that would change the text of one of the labels on the page.

I Ran it. The label remained unchanged. I repeated this process on a
simple project from scratch and the label changed.

So it appears that the code isn't even being RUN. I had noticed the
other day that the VBConversions software that translated the app from
VB.NET to C# did NOT carry over the event wire-ups....and I re-wired
the events.

I can confirm that the designer and the code shows that the Page_Load
is hooked to the Load event of the page.

But apparently it's never being called (or an old version of the code
is being called somewhere).

Any thoughts?

Randy

Randy Magruder

(e-mail address removed) opined:
Randy,

You might want to try our VB.Net to C# conversion tool, C-Sharpener
For VB:

http://www.elegancetech.com/csvb.aspx

Does it resolve the issues?

Hi there,

I solved the issue. Turns out it was in the one place I didn't think
to look...THE CODE. The code that was being used to call
InitializeComponent was not itself being called because it was done
with vb.net event handling, as opposed to inheritance as is usually the
case in the C# version. So while InitializeComponent() was there, it
was never getting called. Once I realized that, I knew why my
breakpoins weren't getting hit. It was a goof by the VBConversions
software.

We already spent the $ on it, so it's gone....otherwise, I would have
been happy to try your software.

Biggest problem here is the line limits on the trials. It would have
been better to place file limits or something, because line limits on
trial software put me in the position of having to re-create small
pieces of software to test the conversion abilities. At any rate, now
we know :(

Thanks,

Randy