I'm trying to understand the cloud sub-element in RSS 2.0

Discussion in 'XML' started by lkrubner@geocities.com, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I apologize for being a bit dense, but I'm trying to wrap my head
    around the sentence

    "Its purpose is to allow processes to register with a cloud to be
    notified of updates to the channel, implementing a lightweight
    publish-subscribe protocol for RSS feeds."

    When they say "cloud" do they just mean a program running on a server?

    more info:

    ====================================

    http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss

    <cloud> sub-element of <channel>

    <cloud> is an optional sub-element of <channel>.

    It specifies a web service that supports the rssCloud interface which
    can be implemented in HTTP-POST, XML-RPC or SOAP 1.1.

    Its purpose is to allow processes to register with a cloud to be
    notified of updates to the channel, implementing a lightweight
    publish-subscribe protocol for RSS feeds.

    <cloud domain="rpc.sys.com" port="80" path="/RPC2"
    registerProcedure="myCloud.rssPleaseNotify" protocol="xml-rpc" />

    In this example, to request notification on the channel it appears in,
    you would send an XML-RPC message to rpc.sys.com on port 80, with a
    path of /RPC2. The procedure to call is myCloud.rssPleaseNotify.

    , Oct 31, 2005