iMac Java performance?

Peter

Hi all

I am going to buy a iMac (G4 1GHz, 256MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR
SDRAM). If i use it to run Java, How is it performace?

How many hertz of pentium 4 will have same performace?

thanks
from Peter ([email protected])

Tom Cole

I run on an iBook 500MHz and it runs just fine. However, developing J2EE on
one requires the WebObjects package and was the reason I left MAC to return
to Windoze. Alas, having Java embedded in the OS sounded like such a great
idea too.....

Scott Ellsworth

Tom Cole said:
I run on an iBook 500MHz and it runs just fine. However, developing J2EE on
one requires the WebObjects package and was the reason I left MAC to return
to Windoze. Alas, having Java embedded in the OS sounded like such a great
idea too.....

We have groups developing for J2EE using their macs without a problem,
and without WebObjects. (I like WO, but it is not needed to develop
J2EE apps.)

You do need to extract the appropriate jars, and to use the proper
tools. One person I know is pretty happy with IDEA J2EE support, while
a few of us are using Together. I have also used Eclipse a bunch, but
not for J2EE.

Scott
Java, Cocoa, WebObjects, and database consulting

Mickey Segal

Peter said:
I am going to buy a iMac (G4 1GHz, 256MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR
SDRAM). If i use it to run Java, How is it performace?

The Java VM on the Macintosh runs about as fast as the Sun JVM. If you are
used to the AWT speed of the Microsoft JVM you will notice a big slowdown.
If you need Java 1.4.x you will notice lots of AWT bugs.

Steve W. Jackson

Tom Cole said:
:I run on an iBook 500MHz and it runs just fine. However, developing J2EE on
:eek:ne requires the WebObjects package and was the reason I left MAC to return
:to Windoze. Alas, having Java embedded in the OS sounded like such a great
:idea too.....
:
::> Hi all
:>
:> I am going to buy a iMac (G4 1GHz, 256MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR
:> SDRAM). If i use it to run Java, How is it performace?
:>
:> How many hertz of pentium 4 will have same performace?
:>
:> thanks
:> from Peter ([email protected])
:
:

Where do you think anybody claimed that Java was "embedded in the OS" on
a Mac? It's not, and Apple never said it was. Java is preinstalled in
OS X, nothing more. It's just there.