    Height="50px" runat="server"/>

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Feb 7, 2007

  2. No. To avoid stretching you would have to resize the image proportionally
    through code. In other words, open the image through the System.Drawing
    classes and check the width and height and then setting the
    image/imagebutton's width and height to be a new height and width
    proportional to the old. HTML doesn't make any allowances for doing
    proportional changes itself or for percentage dimensions.

    --

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Yes it possible in JavaScript. There are two cases, both with same aspect
    ratio (aspect ratio = width / height or height / width). First, image should
    not be clipped, and resized to fit predefined rectangle. In this case, image
    is shown entirely. Second case (I’m guessing that’s the case you’re working
    on) is simply fitting and clipping together, so image can fit (partially) to
    predefined rectangle. Apart from that, there are some script related tricks
    you have to apply, but don’t worry I prepared fully working example (example
    supports both cases, please read comments to find out what needs to be
    changed):

    -- begin aspx code --

    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<!--
    function ResizeImage(img, maxWidth, maxHeight)
    {
    if (!img)
    return;

    var height = img.height;
    var width = img.width;

    // exit if image fits the allowed rect
    if ((height <= maxHeight) && (width <= maxWidth))
    return;

    var ratio = width / height;

    // for non clipping resizing (first case) change it to:
    // if (height >= width)
    if (height <= width)
    {
    height = maxHeight;
    width = parseInt(maxHeight * ratio);
    }
    else
    {
    height = parseInt(maxWidth / ratio);
    width = maxWidth;
    }

    // remove these two lines if you want to use first case resizing (non
    clipping)
    img.style.left = parseInt((maxWidth - width) / 2) + 'px';
    img.style.top = parseInt((maxHeight - height) / 2) + 'px';

    img.style.width = width.toString() + 'px';
    img.style.height = height.toString() + 'px';
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    <!--i used div with hidden overflow to avoid resizing effect while image is
    loaded -->
    <asp:ImageButton runat="server" ID="imageButton" BorderWidth="0"
    Style="position:relative;"/>

    <script type="text/javascript">
    // this trick is to make sure onload event is fired (if i used onload
    attribute,
    // it wouldn't work if image is cached on client's machine)
    var <%=imageButton.ClientID %>_image =
    document.getElementById('<%=imageButton.ClientID %>');
    <%=imageButton.ClientID %>_image.onload = function() {
    ResizeImage(<%=imageButton.ClientID %>_image, 100, 100);
    }
    // it doesn't work with some binary providers
    <%=imageButton.ClientID %>_image.src = '2.jpg';
    </script>

    some very interesting content that won't be moved when image is loading

    -- end aspx code --

    Hope this helps

    Milosz

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlsb3N6IFNrYWxlY2tpIFtNQ0FEXQ==?=, Feb 8, 2007
  4. tshad

    tshad Guest

    Looks pretty good. I am going to play with this today.

    Is there a way to make sure the width and heights are proportional to the
    old sizes? For example: give it a new height and have the width
    automatically calculated based on the old proportions?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Feb 8, 2007
  5. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Mark Fitzpatrick" <> wrote in message
    > No. To avoid stretching you would have to resize the image proportionally
    > through code. In other words, open the image through the System.Drawing
    > classes and check the width and height and then setting the
    > image/imagebutton's width and height to be a new height and width
    > proportional to the old. HTML doesn't make any allowances for doing
    > proportional changes itself or for percentage dimensions.

    How do you figure out the the proportional sizes are?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Howdy,

    Read it again :) same aspect ratio = proportional old size.
    --
    Milosz

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlsb3N6IFNrYWxlY2tpIFtNQ0FEXQ==?=, Feb 8, 2007
  7. Hi there,

    Simple formula:

    R = w\h

    where: R - aspect ratio, h - original image height, w - original image
    width, In addition to that let's introduce Wmax - constraining (maximum)
    width, Hmax - constraining maximum height.

    if you use height as referential size:
    newHeight = Hmax
    newWidth = Hmax * R

    if you use width as referential size:
    newHeight = Wmax / R
    newWidth = Wmax

    --
    Milosz

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlsb3N6IFNrYWxlY2tpIFtNQ0FEXQ==?=, Feb 8, 2007
  8. tshad

    > No. To avoid stretching you would have to resize the image proportionally
    > through code. In other words, open the image through the System.Drawing
    > classes and check the width and height and then setting the
    > image/imagebutton's width and height to be a new height and width
    > proportional to the old. HTML doesn't make any allowances for doing
    > proportional changes itself or for percentage dimensions.

    I tried that but I can't seem to get the oThumbnail.Save to work. I get the
    following error:

    System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred
    in GDI+.

    theFileName = New FileInfo(strFileName)
    fileOut = fileIn.Substring(0,fileIn.LastIndexOf(".")) &
    session("User").CompanyID & fileIn.Substring(fileIn.LastIndexOf("."))
    pathFileOut = Server.MapPath("\Uploads") & "\" &
    fileIn.Substring(0,fileIn.LastIndexOf(".")) & "Temp" &
    fileIn.Substring(fileIn.LastIndexOf("."))
    MyFile2.PostedFile.SaveAs(PathFileOut)

    ' Write out a temporary file that will be read back in for thumbnail
    Dim oImage As System.Drawing.Image
    oImage = oImage.FromFile(pathFileOut)

    ' Read back in File, create thumbnail and save it
    Dim oThumbnail as System.Drawing.Image
    oThumbnail = oImage.GetThumbnailImage(100,200,Nothing,Nothing)
    thumbnailFileOut = Server.MapPath("\Uploads") & "\" &
    fileIn.Substring(0,fileIn.LastIndexOf(".")) &
    fileIn.Substring(fileIn.LastIndexOf("."))
    oThumbnail.Save(Server.MapPath("uploads") & "\" & fileOut,
    ImageFormat.Jpeg)

    I am getting the error on the last line.

    The path and filename are valid. It is the same as when I saved the
    original file (MyFile2.PostedFile.SaveAs(PathFileOut)).

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Feb 8, 2007
  9. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "tshad" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark Fitzpatrick" <> wrote in message
    >> No. To avoid stretching you would have to resize the image proportionally
    >> through code. In other words, open the image through the System.Drawing
    >> classes and check the width and height and then setting the
    >> image/imagebutton's width and height to be a new height and width
    >> proportional to the old. HTML doesn't make any allowances for doing
    >> proportional changes itself or for percentage dimensions.

    > I tried that but I can't seem to get the oThumbnail.Save to work. I get
    > the following error:
    >
    > System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred
    > in GDI+.
    >
    > theFileName = New FileInfo(strFileName)
    > fileOut = fileIn.Substring(0,fileIn.LastIndexOf(".")) &
    > session("User").CompanyID & fileIn.Substring(fileIn.LastIndexOf("."))
    > pathFileOut = Server.MapPath("\Uploads") & "\" &
    > fileIn.Substring(0,fileIn.LastIndexOf(".")) & "Temp" &
    > fileIn.Substring(fileIn.LastIndexOf("."))
    > MyFile2.PostedFile.SaveAs(PathFileOut)
    >
    > ' Write out a temporary file that will be read back in for thumbnail
    > Dim oImage As System.Drawing.Image
    > oImage = oImage.FromFile(pathFileOut)
    >
    > ' Read back in File, create thumbnail and save it
    > Dim oThumbnail as System.Drawing.Image
    > oThumbnail = oImage.GetThumbnailImage(100,200,Nothing,Nothing)
    > thumbnailFileOut = Server.MapPath("\Uploads") & "\" &
    > fileIn.Substring(0,fileIn.LastIndexOf(".")) &
    > fileIn.Substring(fileIn.LastIndexOf("."))
    > oThumbnail.Save(Server.MapPath("uploads") & "\" & fileOut,
    > ImageFormat.Jpeg)
    >
    > I am getting the error on the last line.

    Someone pointed out the problem with this one. The last line should be:

    oThumbnail.Save(thumbnailFileOut ,ImageFormat.Jpeg)

    I missed that from all my changing code to try to get it to work.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Feb 8, 2007
  10. tshad

    tshad Guest

    Worked great.

    It turns out that if you are going to use width as the referential size you
    need to change the Ration formula to: R = h\w.

    tshad, Feb 9, 2007