    copy the image onto their local computers? second, how to display text at
    specific region on an image? i find imagemap seems not supporting function
    related to ALT tag. thanks a lot for your input!!
    Ross, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Ross wrote:

    > hi folks,
    > do you know how to present an image on web but not letting the readers
    > copy the image onto their local computers?

    You can't. It was already discussed here:

    http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2004/Suse_December_2004/msg00091.html

    > second, how to display text at
    > specific region on an image?

    Make the image a background image (for example, the background of a <table>)
    and place the text within the element.

    There are other methods which are 'cleaner'.

    > i find imagemap seems not supporting function
    > related to ALT tag. thanks a lot for your input!!

    I think imagemaps are quite deprecated. Am I wrong?

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Ross

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Ross" <>

    > hi folks,
    > do you know how to present an image on web but not letting the readers
    > copy the image onto their local computers? second, how to display text at
    > specific region on an image? i find imagemap seems not supporting function
    > related to ALT tag. thanks a lot for your input!!

    I understand you can set some things on your server to stop some people
    linking to your pics, but not stop them grabbing them. Think about it! On
    most Macs, for example, one can shift + command + 4 and a cursor comes up
    which you draw a rectangle around whatever you want on the screen and it
    takes a screen shot. You can't expect to disable this sort of thing.

    If you have an image already, you can of course put text on it (in an image
    editing prgm). The whole thing is an image. The text is part of the picture.
    Are you wanting to know how to do this specifically? If you do want to put
    html text in specific places, you can use css positioning. You can have your
    image as background or not. The downside is that if a viewer has a different
    font size setting to what you are calculating, the fit will be
    uncomfortable.

    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Ross

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens, Apr 26, 2005

    http://dorward.me.uk/www/hide/

    > second, how to display text at specific region on an image?

    The safest way is to edit the image.

    > i find imagemap seems not supporting function related to ALT tag.

    You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the alt ATTRIBUTE.
    http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/alt/alt-text.html

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Ross wrote:
    > hi folks,
    > do you know how to present an image on web but not letting the readers
    > copy the image onto their local computers?

    You can not do that, but more important,why do you think you want to do
    that? There may be a different way to accomplish what you really want.

    > second, how to display text at
    > specific region on an image?

    You can use an image editor, or you can use the image as a background.
    (but then you can't use an image map on it)

    > i find imagemap seems not supporting function
    > related to ALT tag.

    Sure it does, as a mater of fact one of the biggest gripes about images
    maps and accessibility is that designers don't use it.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 26, 2005
  7. Ross

    Ross Guest

    rom you guys' kind input, it seems that client side imagemap supports ALT
    for specific patch of the image. How about the server side one? Google
    returns no relevant result. thx again~ (p.s. sorry for pressing a wrong
    button to send an email to David Dorward)
    Ross, Apr 26, 2005
  8. Ross wrote:

    > rom you guys' kind input, it seems that client side imagemap supports ALT
    > for specific patch of the image.

    Yes, although the implementation in many browsers is somewhat lacking, and
    you still seem to be under the misapprehension that the alt attribute
    provides a suggestion for tooltip information.

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/mapalt.html

    > How about the server side one?

    Server side image maps take coordinates and work out the appropriate
    response on the server. Since you aren't defining the areas on the client,
    obviously you can't specify anything about any such area on the client.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 26, 2005
  9. Ross

    kchayka Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Ross wrote:
    >
    >> i find imagemap seems not supporting function
    >> related to ALT tag.

    > Sure it does, as a mater of fact one of the biggest gripes about images
    > maps and accessibility is that designers don't use it.

    Another fatal problem with client-side image maps is how graphical
    browsers handle them when image loading is disabled. I don't know of a
    single browser that doesn't suck in this situation.

    kchayka, Apr 26, 2005