    flaw.)"

    Anybody know what the problem is or what the security update that causes
    the problem is? I looked at the source, but I couldn't tell.
    mcp6453, Jun 13, 2004

  2. mcp6453 wrote:

    > Not my site, but I am curious. The main image on the home page at
    > http://www.patents.com does not display. There is an explanation on the
    > page: "Can't see the image any more? If you are using Internet Explorer,
    > you probably installed a security patch from Microsoft

    Internet Explorer no longer supports http://username:password@host/path
    style URIs.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 13, 2004

  3. David Dorward <> wrote:

    > Internet Explorer no longer supports http://username:password@host/path
    > style URIs.

    .... which were never part of any URI specification, so when
    www.patents.com uses words like "breaks" and "flaw", they indicate lack
    of understanding what they had been doing, and are doing. It does not
    surprise me that they also rely on JavaScript in displaying the image, or
    that they spend quite some text to explain something completely
    irrelevant. If I want to know about intellectual property law, I take it
    as insult to my intellect to waste my time babbling about some foolish
    webcam image that I cannot see.

    They even have a "Best Viewed with Any Browser" icon.

    And they try to make the page auto-refreshing every 5 minutes (with a
    comment saying 30 seconds, but we already knew that comments in HTML are
    used just to confuse people who read HTML source) - on a page that says
    "This page last revised August 29, 2002." (which might or might not be
    true; anyway it was last _changed_ three months ago).

    Sometimes I wish browsers had a plonking feature. That is, upon
    encountering something majestetically stupid, I could tell my browser to
    stop showing any pages from that site, or at least flag links pointing to
    it with bogosity warnings.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 13, 2004