    initial page selection.
    Thus being more suitable for dialup connections.
    Thanks.

    KiwiBrian, Apr 30, 2007

  2. KiwiBrian

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f13eg4$1i2$>,
    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    > Can someone point me to an image gallery where the selection of one of a
    > proffered selection of thumbnails, downloads the larger version only when
    > hovered or selected, and not all of the larger images loading with the
    > initial page selection.
    > Thus being more suitable for dialup connections.
    > Thanks.

    <http://tvrs.org.au/gallery/gallery.html> might be a case for
    you?

    Or, quite generally and better still, if you go to a test bed
    page like:

    <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/thumbnails/thumbLandscap
    eGallery7.html>

    and look at the links to enlargements, you will see that each
    thumbnail can simply link to one enlargement. All you need do is
    put a url in the link to the enlargement you want.

    Are you perhaps up to monkey tricks with preloading images? Or
    Javascript?

    (Just in case, the javascript link in the source of the above is
    completely irrelevant to your query and is only there for
    centering the whole show following a thread in this newsgroup not
    long back)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 30, 2007

  3. KiwiBrian

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 00:51:57 GMT KiwiBrian scribed:

    > Can someone point me to an image gallery where the selection of one of
    > a proffered selection of thumbnails, downloads the larger version only
    > when hovered or selected, and not all of the larger images loading
    > with the initial page selection.
    > Thus being more suitable for dialup connections.
    > Thanks.

    There is no way to do that in a truly logical fashion. Yeah, you could use
    javascript, but what about the non-jsers? Furthermore, how would you go
    about _selecting_ a _thumbnail_ without triggering the link except by
    punching keys? It just isn't a good idea.

    The way to accomplish your ultimate goal is to use very "thin" thumbs -
    small in physical and file-size. With the proper care (-and graphics
    programs), one can construct thumbnails having a filesize of 2-2.5 kb or
    less that look pretty decent. Even Irfanview, a free program, will do this
    and well.

    PS: If you need to "fill" the page, use css for borders, etc.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, May 1, 2007