    cute little cartoon or something with a Hotlink Caution message....

    Damn, did all that make sense...LOL

    Suggestion?
    gcc, Jun 10, 2005

  2. gcc wrote:
    > I have seen instances where when an image is hot linked a different image
    > shows up instead of the one that was hotlinked.....I am adding some original
    > artwork to a site and am interested in learning how to set it up so that if
    > someone hotlinks one of my images then they don't see that image at all,
    > instead they get an image of something else, The alternate image would be a
    > cute little cartoon or something with a Hotlink Caution message....
    >
    > Damn, did all that make sense...LOL
    >
    > Suggestion?

    Yes, I think you mean prevent another website|domain from displaying
    your images on their site via directly linking to it...

    Yes, possible if your hosting company allows you to use an .htaccess
    file see googled links:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=,htaccess protect images hotlink example&btnG=Search

    As an artist, I will remind you that this will not stop someone from
    downloading your image and puting a copy on their website!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 10, 2005

  3. gcc

    gcc Guest

    \
    > Yes, I think you mean prevent another website|domain from displaying your
    > images on their site via directly linking to it...
    >
    > Yes, possible if your hosting company allows you to use an .htaccess file
    > see googled links:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=,htaccess protect images hotlink example&btnG=Search
    >
    > As an artist, I will remind you that this will not stop someone from
    > downloading your image and puting a copy on their website

    I don't mind if it gets downloaded because the image will be
    watermarked....It's a bandwidth issue....

    Thanks for the link
    gcc, Jun 10, 2005
  4. gcc wrote:

    > \
    >> Yes, I think you mean prevent another website|domain from displaying your
    >> images on their site via directly linking to it...
    >>
    >> Yes, possible if your hosting company allows you to use an .htaccess file
    >> see googled links:
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl...
    >>
    >> As an artist, I will remind you that this will not stop someone from
    >> downloading your image and puting a copy on their website

    > I don't mind if it gets downloaded because the image will be
    > watermarked....It's a bandwidth issue....
    >
    > Thanks for the link

    cPanel has got HotLink protection built-in so it provides you with a
    front-end to the .htaccess file.

    Roy
    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 10, 2005