    hoping somebody here can help me out.

    Thanks,

    Job

    Job, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Job

    Patrice Guest

    ASP and ASP.NET is not the same.

    ASP uses COM components to perform image manipulation.

    In ASP.NET you have the whole framework library available including the
    usual Windows graphics functions. See the System.Drawing namespace..

    Patrice

    Patrice, Sep 29, 2004

  3. There are all kinds of classes in the System.Drawing namespace for doing
    these kinds of functions.
    There are also 3rd party solutions available can make these chores even
    easier:
    Here's one:
    http://www.atalasoft.com/Components/dotImage/WebForms.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Sep 29, 2004
  4. Job

    Job Guest

    Hi,

    I'm basically looking into the most default way to do this, preferrably
    without 3rd-party solutions/libraries etc..
    I've created a GUI for image manipulation with PHP/GDLib, but I'am
    investigating possibilities to make the GUI work with other server-side
    languages (ASP/ASP.net/Coldfusion).

    What I understand from you and Patrice, is that it is possible...

    thanks,
    Job

    Job, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Yes, the classes in the system.drawing namespace would be the most standard
    way.
    If you need to get really fancy you might also explore what the DirectX
    libraries have to offer.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Sep 30, 2004
  6. The problem with DirectX in a web application is hosting it in a browser.
    DirectX sits just above the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), and talks
    (almost) directly to the graphics card. Hosting DirectX in a browser would
    require full trust for the client app, and would have to be hosted as an
    embedded Windows Form in the client.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 30, 2004
  7. I was suggesting using DirectX on the server for image manipulation, not
    client side.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Sep 30, 2004
  8. Hi Steve,

    > I was suggesting using DirectX on the server for image manipulation, not
    > client side.

    Interesting. Have you read about this somewhere before? I'm curious, as I
    have been working with DirectX a lot lately.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 30, 2004
  9. Hi Steve,

    > I've read about using DirectX with .NET, but not specifically ASP.NET.
    > (.NET has great support for DirectX these days.)

    I've heard about that too. In fact, I'm writing an app in managed Direct3D.
    But I would love to hear about the possibility of using DirectX on the
    server to create an image and save it out to the client (i.e. a stream) in
    some image format that will display okay in a browser.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    > I've read about using DirectX with .NET, but not specifically ASP.NET.
    > (.NET has great support for DirectX these days.)
    > It seems like DirectX is potentially a fairly natural extension of the
    > System.Drawing namespace if that's how you want to use it.
    >
    > --
    > I hope this helps,
    > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
    > http://Steve.Orr.net
    >

    > "Kevin Spencer" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi Steve,
    > >
    > >> I was suggesting using DirectX on the server for image manipulation,

    not
    > >> client side.

    > > Interesting. Have you read about this somewhere before? I'm curious, as

    It

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 30, 2004
  10. I've read about using DirectX with .NET, but not specifically ASP.NET.

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Sep 30, 2004