image manipulation in asp/aps.net ??

Job

Hi,

I would like to find out what ASP/ASP.net can do with image manipulation.
Does ASP have built in functions (eg. after upload to server) to
manipulate images, like rotate, scale, crop etc.? Or are 3rd party
solutions needed to do this?

I am a php/codfusion programmer and know nothing about asp, so I'm
hoping somebody here can help me out.

Thanks,

Job

Patrice

ASP and ASP.NET is not the same.

ASP uses COM components to perform image manipulation.

In ASP.NET you have the whole framework library available including the
usual Windows graphics functions. See the System.Drawing namespace..

Patrice

Job

Hi,

I'm basically looking into the most default way to do this, preferrably
without 3rd-party solutions/libraries etc..
I've created a GUI for image manipulation with PHP/GDLib, but I'am
investigating possibilities to make the GUI work with other server-side
languages (ASP/ASP.net/Coldfusion).

What I understand from you and Patrice, is that it is possible...

thanks,
Job

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, the classes in the system.drawing namespace would be the most standard
way.
If you need to get really fancy you might also explore what the DirectX
libraries have to offer.

Kevin Spencer

The problem with DirectX in a web application is hosting it in a browser.
DirectX sits just above the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), and talks
(almost) directly to the graphics card. Hosting DirectX in a browser would
require full trust for the client app, and would have to be hosted as an
embedded Windows Form in the client.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I was suggesting using DirectX on the server for image manipulation, not
client side.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Job said:
Hi,

I'm basically looking into the most default way to do this, preferrably
without 3rd-party solutions/libraries etc..
I've created a GUI for image manipulation with PHP/GDLib, but I'am
investigating possibilities to make the GUI work with other server-side
languages (ASP/ASP.net/Coldfusion).

What I understand from you and Patrice, is that it is possible...

thanks,
Job

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] wrote:

There are all kinds of classes in the System.Drawing namespace for doing
these kinds of functions.
There are also 3rd party solutions available can make these chores
even
easier:
Here's one:
http://www.atalasoft.com/Components/dotImage/WebForms.aspx

Kevin Spencer

Hi Steve,
I was suggesting using DirectX on the server for image manipulation, not
client side.

Interesting. Have you read about this somewhere before? I'm curious, as I
have been working with DirectX a lot lately.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] wrote:

There are all kinds of classes in the System.Drawing namespace for doing
these kinds of functions.
There are also 3rd party solutions available can make these chores
even
easier:
Here's one:
http://www.atalasoft.com/Components/dotImage/WebForms.aspx

Kevin Spencer

Hi Steve,
I've read about using DirectX with .NET, but not specifically ASP.NET.
(.NET has great support for DirectX these days.)

I've heard about that too. In fact, I'm writing an app in managed Direct3D.
But I would love to hear about the possibility of using DirectX on the
server to create an image and save it out to the client (i.e. a stream) in
some image format that will display okay in a browser.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Steve C. Orr said:
I've read about using DirectX with .NET, but not specifically ASP.NET.
(.NET has great support for DirectX these days.)
It seems like DirectX is potentially a fairly natural extension of the
System.Drawing namespace if that's how you want to use it.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Kevin Spencer said:
Hi Steve,
I was suggesting using DirectX on the server for image manipulation, not
client side.

Interesting. Have you read about this somewhere before? I'm curious, as It

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] wrote:

There are all kinds of classes in the System.Drawing namespace for
doing
these kinds of functions.
There are also 3rd party solutions available can make these chores
even
easier:
Here's one:
http://www.atalasoft.com/Components/dotImage/WebForms.aspx

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I've read about using DirectX with .NET, but not specifically ASP.NET.
(.NET has great support for DirectX these days.)
It seems like DirectX is potentially a fairly natural extension of the
System.Drawing namespace if that's how you want to use it.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
http://Steve.Orr.net