Image Map: Acceptable alternative to frames?

(Pete Cresswell)

I'm reading about Image Maps and it looks to me like this might be a means to
create/present a heirarchical list of menu choices that can be made common to
many pages without creating a lot of maintainence when the map changes.

True?

If so, are there there any utilities out there that would let me open up a .GIF
or .JPG and just click/select with circular or rectangular marquees to capture
the coordinates/type in some text/create an <AREA> statement? For this, I'm
not thinking so much of a site map - which would be pretty easy in
PhotoShop...but of another application; namely a large photo of a reunion where
I could map out 100-150 people by face.

Hywel Jenkins

I'm reading about Image Maps and it looks to me like this might be a means to
create/present a heirarchical list of menu choices that can be made common to
many pages without creating a lot of maintainence when the map changes.

True?

Probably not. The code for the image map will need to be included in
every page that the menu appears on.

If so, are there there any utilities out there that would let me open up a .GIF
or .JPG and just click/select with circular or rectangular marquees to capture
the coordinates/type in some text/create an <AREA> statement?

Yes - loads. Try http://www.coffeecup.com/ for starters.

Seems to me you're after two solutions to two entirely different
problems.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:
Just warning anyone at work - save this link for home if your boss might
not want a boob in the computer. (He already has on AT the computer...)

Just warning anyone at home - save this link for at home or your wife will
have a headache tonight.