Image map: client-side or server-side (cgi)?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 23, 2003

    news:59_Fb.43447$...
    > Hi,
    > I am building the website
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > and http://www.italymap.dk
    > On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
    > I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on

    the
    > map to a different page.
    > My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
    > client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site

    about
    > server-side image maps.
    >
    > Best regards

    On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
    I have an image map which is client-side.

    Best regards
    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

    http://www.italymap.dk
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    m Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero may have written:

    > Hi,
    > I am building the website
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > and http://www.italymap.dk
    > On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
    > I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on
    > the map to a different page.
    > My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
    > client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site
    > about server-side image maps.
    >
    > Best regards

    There's an interesting article at alistapart right now
    about client side maps. Look on the Perl and PHP sites
    for tutorials on server side maps.

    The decision between client and
    server side has a lot to do with
    whether the information needs to be processed, instead
    of the visitor just calling up static pages through the map.
    Client side is faster, but server side can do more.
    --
    Cheers, m http://www.mbstevens.com

    m, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
    > client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site about
    > server-side image maps.

    If a client-side image map can do what you want, go with that. A
    client-side image map is more accessible and faster.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:59_Fb.43447$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    > I am building the website http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

    ^^^
    still

    > On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
    > I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on the
    > map to a different page.

    find a better (clearer) map

    > My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
    > client-side or server-side

    client side. server side maps are only useful for complex maps that
    require exacting coords. they're even more inaccessible than
    client-side.

    --
    brucie
    24/December/2003 05:57:37 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 23, 2003
  6. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > in post <news:59_Fb.43447$>
    > Luigi Donatello Asero said:
    >
    > > I am building the website http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

    > ^^^
    > still
    >
    > > On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
    > > I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on

    the
    > > map to a different page.

    > find a better (clearer) map

    I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.
    It was made for one-man business by another firm.
    What do you think that I should tell the seller?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    >>> http://www.italymap.dk/index.html

    >> find a better (clearer) map

    > I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

    i hope you didn't pay too much

    > It was made for one-man business by another firm.

    make your own. find a PD map and if needed add the place names yourself
    so they're nice and clear.

    > What do you think that I should tell the seller?

    unless its something that shouldn't be said in front of kiddies its not
    really worth saying.

    --
    brucie
    24/December/2003 07:19:34 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 23, 2003
  9. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$>

    > >> find a better (clearer) map

    > > I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

    > i hope you didn't pay too much
    >
    > > It was made for one-man business by another firm.

    > make your own. find a PD map and if needed add the place names yourself
    > so they're nice and clear.

    As a matter of fact, I have not found any better map of Italy either on the
    web which contains both motorways and the capitals of each Italian region
    and which is updated at the same time.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:Nt2Gb.39608$>
    Luigi Donatello Asero said:

    >>> I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

    >> i hope you didn't pay too much

    > How much would you have paid for such a map?

    nothing. it wouldn't take much to create one myself of a much higher
    quality.

    --
    brucie
    24/December/2003 07:39:39 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message

    > "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$>

    > > > I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

    > > i hope you didn't pay too much
    > >
    > > > It was made for one-man business by another firm.

    > > make your own. find a PD map and if needed add the place names yourself
    > > so they're nice and clear.

    > As a matter of fact, I have not found any better map of Italy either on

    the
    > web which contains both motorways and the capitals of each Italian region
    > and which is updated at the same time.

    Updated? Italy has been there for thousands of years, how often do they need
    to change it so a map needs updating?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 24, 2003
  12. "rf" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$>

    > > > i hope you didn't pay too much

    > > > make your own. find a PD map and if needed add the place names

    yourself
    > > > so they're nice and clear.

    > > As a matter of fact, I have not found any better map of Italy either on

    > the
    > > web which contains both motorways and the capitals of each Italian

    region
    > > and which is updated at the same time.

    > Updated? Italy has been there for thousands of years, how often do they

    need
    > to change it so a map needs updating?

    The net of motorways is not always the same at least in Italy, Richard.
    Besides the towns which you see on the map are the capitals of each regions.
    They are not always been the same.
    How much do you know about Italy?

    --

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 24, 2003

    > "rf" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > >
    > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > yourself
    > > >
    > > > As a matter of fact, I have not found any better map of Italy either

    on
    > > the
    > > > web which contains both motorways and the capitals of each Italian

    > region
    > > > and which is updated at the same time.

    > > Updated? Italy has been there for thousands of years, how often do they

    > need
    > > to change it so a map needs updating?

    > The net of motorways is not always the same at least in Italy, Richard.
    > Besides the towns which you see on the map are the capitals of each

    regions.
    > They are not always been the same.
    > How much do you know about Italy?

    Even the regions have not always been the same! For example the region
    Abruzzi and the region Molise used to be one region.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Dec 24, 2003