Image map with links Javascript

ebown5

Hello,

I am building a personal website, in vb.net and sqlserver, but I am a
novice when it comes to javascript. One of the features that I want to
create is giving me a bit of difficulty. I am just in the stage of
considering an approach to this task (of the feature, I am far along in
the project of building the site itself) and haven't started working on
it yet.

I want to create an image map of a map of the United States, with
hotspots on specific cities. When the user hovers the mouse over the
hotspot I want to have a tool tip pop up and give a bit of information
on something. If they click on the hotspot it will be a link to
another page.

Here is the part that might be a bit tricky. I want to have a
chronological vertical list of datelinks next to the map .
Hovering over the link will open the same tool tip that was generated
by the hotspot mouseover in the same place. So basically there would
be a hotspot on Philadelphia, and if someone hovered over the hotspot
or the link in the vertical list of dates, the same tooltip would be
generated over the hotspot, and maybe the image of the hotspot would
highlight.

I am doing this to track progress of a tour around the country, and I
want people to be able to hover right down the vertical list of dates,
and have the corresponding locations light up/tooltip on the map so you
could track the progress visually on the map.

So basically the hotspot has a tooltip on the mouseover, and links
inside the tooltip that, when clicked on, take you to another page. The
vertical list of dates would be an additional way of getting to the
same place. Clicking a date in the list would take you to a different
page, and hovering over the date in the list would fire the same
tooltip over the corresponding hotspot on the map.

I really want to figure out a way to do this because I think that it
will be cool, but at the moment I am not so sure what approach makes
the most sense.

Thanks, Eric