Image maps

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

I have a page with an image map on. Works fine under Mozilla, but
completely fails under IE. The page validates okay.

Is there anywhere in particular I should place the image map "definition"?

The page can be view at

http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/pop/

Thanks

TTFN

Paul

Steve Pugh

I have a page with an image map on. Works fine under Mozilla, but
completely fails under IE.

Doesn't work in Opera 7 either.
The page validates okay.

Liar.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/pop/

In addition to the errors pointed out by the validator you're also
using XHTML syntax (e.g. said:
Is there anywhere in particular I should place the image map "definition"?

Not really. Some people recommend placing it before the image map
itself so that it's available to be used as soon as the image map
loads, even if the page as a whole hasn't finished loading.

usemap="toplevel" should be usemap="#toplevel"

Steve

Richard

Paul said:
I have a page with an image map on. Works fine under Mozilla, but
completely fails under IE. The page validates okay.
Is there anywhere in particular I should place the image map
"definition"?
The page can be view at

Paul

I use IE 6. No image map for me. Most likely due to the img src having an /
at the end.
Since img src has no closure tag, don't put one into it.
I've used maps before and never had a problem with them working in IE.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Paul F. Johnson pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
Hi,

By the process of poking various fingers onto keys Beauregard T. Shagnasty
generated this:

Oddly, it looks nothing like that using Firebird, Opera, Moz 1.5 or NS7
here. Must be a difference between a Windows and Linux implementation (by
the looks of your screenshot)

'Twas Win2K Sp4, all browser windows about 800px wide. In fact, if I
maximize the windows (1024x768), the content text jumps up the right-hand
side of that menu, which stays in the same position near the 800px
location. In Opera 7.20:
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagnasty/images/projectpopopera1024.jpg

Since three browsers display this the same, and other sites work ok, I
can't see where the OS is the cause, as it does work ok in IE6. <shrug>

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

Since three browsers display this the same, and other sites work ok, I
can't see where the OS is the cause, as it does work ok in IE6. <shrug>

This is most odd as NS7 (linux) displays the page fine. Opera 7.20 shows
the problem, but that's the only browser I can get it to fail on.

TTFN

Paul

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Paul F. Johnson pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
Hi,

This is most odd as NS7 (linux) displays the page fine. Opera 7.20 shows
the problem, but that's the only browser I can get it to fail on.

Ah! You see it, too. Good. <g> There's nothing wrong with my PC.

Once you solve the problem, let us know what causes it.

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

Paul F. Johnson pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

Ah! You see it, too. Good. <g> There's nothing wrong with my PC.

Just the OS ;-p
Once you solve the problem, let us know what causes it.

#banner {
BACKGROUND: white; COLOR: #333333; HEIGHT: 6em;
}

should be

#banner {
BACKGROUND: white; COLOR: #333333; HEIGHT: 92px;
}

Thanks. Now to get it to validate...

TTFN

Paul