    else i would like to know how to define a matrix in hdl, and how to
    read and write image data into files

    , Jul 23, 2007

    You can read and write images when using the PPM/PNM/PGM file format.
    This format is acsii. All pixels are written out, which make it
    readable by VHDL in all cases.
    It also possible to read binary files, but the result depends our
    simulator. That way should be avoided.

    A matrix can defined that way:

    type col is array(0 to n-1) of std_logic_vector(7 dowonto 0);
    type matrix is array(0 to m-1) of col;

    For images you should use a dynamic array which can be created with an
    access type.

    , Jul 30, 2007

    On Jul 30, 1:35 pm, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can read and write images when using the PPM/PNM/PGM file format.
    > This format is acsii. All pixels are written out, which make it
    > readable by VHDL in all cases.
    > It also possible to read binary files, but the result depends our
    > simulator. That way should be avoided.
    >
    > A matrix can defined that way:
    >
    > type col is array(0 to n-1) of std_logic_vector(7 dowonto 0);
    > type matrix is array(0 to m-1) of col;
    >
    > For images you should use a dynamic array which can be created with an
    > access type.

    thank you for the information, but using file read write is not
    synthesizable, so what do i have to do?

    , Jul 31, 2007
  4. schrieb:

    > thank you for the information, but using file read write is not
    > synthesizable, so what do i have to do?

    Think about a transmission from your chip (ASIC / FPGA) to a PC using a
    standard interface (RS232, USB, Ethernet, I2C, ...) and saving the
    incoming bitstream.

    Think about an interface to a removable flash device (SD-Card) and
    writing to it.

    A microcontroller for the data transmission may be preferrable for any
    solution.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Jul 31, 2007
  5. vmalkumar

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Re

    Dear All.

    I found this particular thread intresting and I request more replies here..

    I am working on a similar project on Image Processing using VHDL.

    Yes, I think it is not possible to synthesize, file read write. I think converting all the values as a simple .txt file is useful, ie even the binary values. and using file I/O.

    Any thoughts anyone?
    I am close to finding out more regarding this.I'll keep it posted.

    Thanks..

    vmalkumar, Sep 17, 2007