image processing library

Razii

So you need a new type of Java platform for mobile devices?

It's not a "new" platform. It's a subset of Java SE.
And how
many different APIs do you have to download (http://java.sun.com/
javame/reference/apis.jsp#api)? How is that different than
downloading and using C++ libraries?

There are only three APIs, ME (which is a subset of SE), SE, EE (which
includes everything in SE + a server and libraries for server side
applications).

dave_mikesell

There are only three APIs, ME (which is a subset of SE), SE, EE (which
includes everything in SE + a server and libraries for server side
applications).

So which of the optional dozen or so libraries do you need for your
micro app?

AFAICT, ME, SE, and EE are three distinct platforms. If someone says
their Java app is portable, I'll ask for which platform?

Razii

So which of the optional dozen or so libraries do you need for your
micro app?

AFAICT, ME, SE, and EE are three distinct platforms. If someone says
their Java app is portable, I'll ask for which platform?

It's not a new platform. It's a subset of SE. As the computing power
of mobile devices improves, the SE and ME will become one. It's a
subset of SE, not new. If someone is familiar with SE API, he already
knows ME.

dave_mikesell

It's not a new platform. It's a subset of SE. As the computing power
of mobile devices improves, the SE and ME will become one. It's a
subset of SE, not new. If someone is familiar with SE API, he already
knows ME.

So SE apps are not portable to ME. That was my point. Currently you
have three platforms which are used in various combinations: SE, EE,
ME.

peter koch

Yes, I saw.

If you dismiss C, then you are probably right. However, that's a huge
caveat.

Brian

Surely C is number one. But most platforms that offer C could also
offer C++ via Comeaus C++-to-C compiler.

/Peter

Jerry Coffin

[ ... ]
You went to far with this statement, it is flatly incorrect. It is C,
not C++, that is the most widely available language. There is a C
compiler for every platform that has a C++ implementation, the one
included in the C++ package, if no others.

But there are C compilers for a vast number of platforms, most notably
embedded systems and digital signal processors, that do not have C++
compilers.

This is open to some question as well. Given that Comeau C++ compiles
from C++ input to standard, portable C as its output, you can make a
pretty fair argument that any platform that supports C also supports
C++.

Of course, actually using the Comeau compiler for a purpose like this
requires a license that allows it -- and knowing Greg, he probably does
more than just write a license and tell you to have fun. I'd expect he
does a bit of rewriting to invoke that compiler correctly, and then runs
full regression tests and such before he considers the port complete.
Nonetheless, I think it would probably take an extremely unusual target
back-end compiler for this to be any more than a fairly minor, routine
kind of task.

Diego Martins

It seems all comp.lang.c++ topics are turning to a troll war. nice job
huh?

should we...
2) keep feeding the troll (unfortunately, he is a greedy troll)
3) stop posting here since it is somewhat off-topic?

I vote 3, although I am curious about a good IP lib for C++ (my
current choice is doing things manually and using OpenCV when the time
is short)

Diego
HP