image recogniton?

Li Han

Hi! I know little about the computer image processing, and now I have
a fancy problem which is how to read the time from the picture of a
clock by programming ? Is there anyone who can give me some
suggestions?
Thank!
Li Han

Hendrik van Rooyen

Li Han said:
Hi! I know little about the computer image processing, and now I have
a fancy problem which is how to read the time from the picture of a
clock by programming ? Is there anyone who can give me some
suggestions?

When the big hand is on the twelve, and the little hand is on the eight,
it is eight O'clock...

:)

- Hendrik

Dotan Cohen

This was just mentioned on the KDE bugtracker:
http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/FaceDetection

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

×-ב-×’-ד-×”-ו-×–-×—-ט-×™-ך-×›-ל-×-מ-ן-× -ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-Ø«-ج-Ø­-Ø®-د-Ø°-ر-ز-س-Ø´-ص-ض-Ø·-ظ-ع-غ-Ù-Ù‚-Ùƒ-Ù„-Ù…-Ù†-Ù‡â€-Ùˆ-ÙŠ
Ð-Б-Ð’-Г-Д-Е-Ð-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-Ðœ-Ð-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Ð¥-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-Ñ‘-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-Ñ€-Ñ-Ñ‚-у-Ñ„-Ñ…-ц-ч-ш-щ-ÑŠ-Ñ‹-ÑŒ-Ñ-ÑŽ-Ñ
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

J Kenneth King

Li Han said:
Hi! I know little about the computer image processing, and now I have
a fancy problem which is how to read the time from the picture of a
clock by programming ? Is there anyone who can give me some
suggestions?
Thank!
Li Han

I do work in object recognition, and I would classify this as a rather
difficult problem. Not impossible of course, but you'll need some OCR to
read the clock face and some sort of magnitude vector feature to tell
which hand is which and the "general direction" is is pointing in.

Also, depends if we're talking digital clocks or analog. :)

The other problem is one of accuracy: depending on your input image,
even slight variances can change your results.

I'm curious as to what application the solution to this problem is
practical for all of its difficulty?

Li Han

I'm curious as to what application the solution to this problem is
practical for all of its difficulty?
Sorry, I oversimplified the question because of my poor english. It is
an analog compass whose value we need to read into the computer every
second. We use a video camera keep shooting it, and the compass and
camera are fixed.

Joe Strout

Li said:
Sorry, I oversimplified the question because of my poor english. It is
an analog compass whose value we need to read into the computer every
second. We use a video camera keep shooting it, and the compass and
camera are fixed.

If you have any choice about it, it would be greatly simpler, cheaper,
and more effective to throw out the camera and analog compass, and use
an electronic compass instead. These are affordable and work quite well
provided you keep them level (the same constraint you have with an
old-fashioned compass too). You can make some simple interface
hardware, or spend a bit more for something with a USB or serial
interface built in, like this:
<http://www.oceanserver-store.com/osevkitsorus.html>

Best,
- Joe