image reloading and browser cache settings

Jeff Blume

i have created a menu that uses a layer whose visibility is turned on
or off depending on a button rollover. the layer contains a single
image. if i set my IE6 cache settings to check for newer versions
"every visit to the page" and set the disk cache to 1mb (as small as
it will go) the image is reloaded from the server every time the
visibility is switched on or the image is swapped with another while
visible (it is a small image - only 500 bytes), which causes a slight
delay that ruins the whole effect. i am already preloading all the
images. it seems to work ok on netscape with the cache settings both
at 0.
is the minimum disk cache setting for IE misleading? if its really at
1mb it should be able to hold a few 500byte images. why are they
preloading every time?
thanks,
jeff