image/svg+xml

Markus Olderdissen

i am trying to create dynamic svg-images by using asp. i dont use any doctype.
first lines of my asp-file are

Response.ContentType = "image/svg+xml".
Call Response.Write("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>")

after these lines i wrote the svg-code. this doesn't work using internet
explorer but in firefox it works. so i thried to use php. first lines in php
are

header("Content-Type: image/svg+xml");
echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>';

after these lines i wrote the svg-code. this works using both browsers. so i
need someone who is able to show me how to get this run on both browsers using
asp.

Daniel Crichton

Markus wrote on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:20:23 +0100:
i am trying to create dynamic svg-images by using asp. i dont use any
doctype.
first lines of my asp-file are
Response.ContentType = "image/svg+xml".
Call Response.Write("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>")
after these lines i wrote the svg-code. this doesn't work using
internet explorer but in firefox it works. so i thried to use php.
first lines in php are
header("Content-Type: image/svg+xml");
echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>';
after these lines i wrote the svg-code. this works using both browsers.
so i need someone who is able to show me how to get this run on both
browsers using asp.

Is there anything before those lines in your ASP code? IE is dependent upon
having no empty space before the XML, eg.

<%
'do some ASP stuff here
%>
<%
Response.ContentType = "image/svg+xml".
Call Response.Write("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>")
%>

will result in a blank line appearing before the XML header. What you need
to do is strip out any whitespace above where you start outputting the XML,
eg.

<%
'do some ASP stuff here
%><%
Response.ContentType = "image/svg+xml".
Call Response.Write("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>")
%>

the simple removal of that blank line makes a big difference.

If you provide all the ASP page content up to where you write out the first
XML line then it might make it easier to see where the issue is.

Anthony Jones

Daniel Crichton said:
[...]

My testing with FF3 shows it to be equally sensitive to any preceeding
whitespace, which is reasonable since that would be a breach of the spec.

I suggest using fiddler to determine exactly what is being sent by PHP and
comparing that with the ASP version. This could be a character encoding
problem.