Image swapping/Rollovers

Jeanne D

Is there a magic trick to image swapping/image rollovers using CSS? It
doesn't seem to work in IE on the Mac. Or does it just not work at this
date and time? Will it ever?

As I'm learning about limitations in CSS I can't help but think that
the language is forcing us to design a certain way. In other words, no
image mouseovers. On the other hand the layering capability is very
nice. Reminds me how enthused I was when Photoshop 3.0 arrived with
layers. I'm starting to enjoy learning more about CSS, but I'm finding
out what CSS cannot do. I'm very used to image swapping using HTML and
it's weird to see it not supported with CSS.

David Dorward

Jeanne said:
Is there a magic trick to image swapping/image rollovers using CSS?

That depends precisely what you mean by that. There is nothing magic about
foo { background-image: something } foo:hover { background-image:
something_else }, but if you want to change content then you are entering
the realms of nasty hacks.
It doesn't seem to work in IE on the Mac.

What exactly is "it". You haven't shown us your code, so its hard to say.
Or does it just not work at this
date and time? Will it ever?

Since IE/Mac has been abandoned by Microsoft, any code that doesn't work on
it today is highly unlikely to work on it anytime in the future.

As I'm learning about limitations in CSS I can't help but think that
the language is forcing us to design a certain way.

CSS doesn't enforce any "one true way" of doing things.
I'm very used to image swapping using HTML and it's weird to see it not
supported with CSS.

You are? How on earth do you do image swapping with HTML? Its pretty easy
with JavaScript, but HTML doesn't have any facility for that sort of thing.

Jeanne D

<<Its pretty easy with JavaScript, but HTML doesn't have any facility
for that sort of thing. >>

That's what I should have said. Yes, JavaScript is what I use for image
swapping on mouseovers, which works fine in all browsers. Is there a
way to do this using CSS that will work in IE on the Mac? I think
you've answered my question though, and it is probably not.

<<CSS doesn't enforce any "one true way" of doing things.>>

But if image swapping doesn't work on the Mac with CSS, I would design
differently. I wouldn't design with images, I'd find a work around.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jeanne D quothed:
Is there a magic trick to image swapping/image rollovers using CSS? It
doesn't seem to work in IE on the Mac. Or does it just not work at this
date and time? Will it ever?

Try again on Groundhog Day at 11:11 am sharp.
As I'm learning about limitations in CSS I can't help but think that
the language is forcing us to design a certain way. In other words, no
image mouseovers. On the other hand the layering capability is very
nice. Reminds me how enthused I was when Photoshop 3.0 arrived with
layers. I'm starting to enjoy learning more about CSS, but I'm finding
out what CSS cannot do. I'm very used to image swapping using HTML and
it's weird to see it not supported with CSS.

It was weird to see it *supported* by css.

dorayme

From: "Jeanne D said:
<<Its pretty easy with JavaScript, but HTML doesn't have any facility
for that sort of thing. >>

That's what I should have said. Yes, JavaScript is what I use for image
swapping on mouseovers, which works fine in all browsers. Is there a
way to do this using CSS that will work in IE on the Mac? I think
you've answered my question though, and it is probably not.

<<CSS doesn't enforce any "one true way" of doing things.>>

But if image swapping doesn't work on the Mac with CSS, I would design
differently. I wouldn't design with images, I'd find a work around.

I think you misunderstand the relations between css, html,
javascript. Image swapping works fine on websites using all
three on Macs. CSS is a way to control styling, it does not
exclude other technologies...

__
dorayme

kchayka

Jeanne said:
But if image swapping doesn't work on the Mac with CSS,

Image swapping with CSS has nothing to do with Mac, Windows, Linux or
any other platform. Whether it works or not is browser-specific.

If you're talking about Mac-only browsers, CSS image swapping should
work just fine in the latest versions of Safari, iCab and Omniweb, as
well as cross-platform browsers like mozilla and Opera.

If it doesn't work on MacIE, big deal. It's a dead browser. I wouldn't
even bother with it unless I knew for sure I had a significant number of
MacIE users, and that's unlikely these days.

dorayme

From: kchayka said:
Image swapping with CSS has nothing to do with Mac, Windows, Linux or
any other platform. Whether it works or not is browser-specific.

If you're talking about Mac-only browsers, CSS image swapping should
work just fine in the latest versions of Safari, iCab and Omniweb, as
well as cross-platform browsers like mozilla and Opera.

If it doesn't work on MacIE, big deal. It's a dead browser. I wouldn't
even bother with it unless I knew for sure I had a significant number of
MacIE users, and that's unlikely these days.

Never had trouble with IE (Mac 5.1.6) in this regard as far as I recall...