Image

Discussion in 'HTML' started by News, Aug 21, 2006.

  1. News

    News Guest

    I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    image but that is not correct.

    Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

    Thanks

    --

    Totus possum, totum Deum.
    Totus ero, totum meum.
    WSW
     
    News, Aug 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. News

    Els Guest

    News wrote:

    > I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    > me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    > accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    > image but that is not correct.
    >
    > Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    > doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.


    If you can show us such a page, we can show you how you copy the
    image. There is no way to protect images on the web.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
     
    Els, Aug 21, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Els wrote:
    > News wrote:
    >
    >> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    >> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    >> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    >> image but that is not correct.
    >>
    >> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    >> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

    >
    > If you can show us such a page, we can show you how you copy the
    > image. There is no way to protect images on the web.


    It's probably a background image. You can find its location through the
    HTML source code ("View Source"), unless it's stuck away in a
    stylesheet, in which case you have to download the stylesheet first.
     
    Harlan Messinger, Aug 21, 2006
    #3
  4. News

    Guest

    News wrote:
    > I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    > me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    > accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    > image but that is not correct.
    >
    > Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    > doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    Provide a link to one or more of the sites and someone will let yah
    know what is what. Could be some simple javascript (which really
    can't stop anyone from getting the image).
     
    , Aug 21, 2006
    #4
  5. News

    Els Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> News wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    >>> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    >>> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    >>> image but that is not correct.
    >>>
    >>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    >>> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

    >>
    >> If you can show us such a page, we can show you how you copy the
    >> image. There is no way to protect images on the web.

    >
    > It's probably a background image. You can find its location through the
    > HTML source code ("View Source"), unless it's stuck away in a
    > stylesheet, in which case you have to download the stylesheet first.


    If it's a background image, just load the page in Firefox, right click
    the image and select 'view background-image'.
    That is, if there isn't another (transparent) image overlay of course.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
     
    Els, Aug 21, 2006
    #5
  6. On 2006-08-21, News wrote:
    > I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    > me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    > accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    > image but that is not correct.
    >
    > Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    > doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.


    Look at the HTML code and the stylesheet.

    If you cannot figure it out, post a URL here.

    One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
    <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
    (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
    matter) The extracted image (using ImageMagick's display to grab a
    section of the screen) is at:
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/brewers.jpg>.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
    ===================================================================
    Author:
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
     
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 21, 2006
    #6
  7. News

    Nije Nego Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:41:03 GMT, News wrote:

    > I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    > me I could not copy the image.


    If you want to get the images, you should install proper browser (maybe you
    have already), like Firefox ( http://urlkick.com/338 ) and than right
    click - view page info - media. You will have everything there.

    > Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    > doing?


    If you want to protect your images - forget about it, it's impossible, you
    just may hide it from few who do not know how to get it. It's not worth the
    effort.

    --
    buy, bought, bye
     
    Nije Nego, Aug 21, 2006
    #7
  8. News

    Els Guest

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2006-08-21, News wrote:
    >> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    >> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    >> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    >> image but that is not correct.
    >>
    >> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    >> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

    >
    > Look at the HTML code and the stylesheet.
    >
    > If you cannot figure it out, post a URL here.
    >
    > One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
    > <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
    > (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
    > matter)


    It's stuck in a .dll. There are programs to extract (and compile) .dll
    files.

    > The extracted image (using ImageMagick's display to grab a
    > section of the screen) is at:
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/brewers.jpg>.


    Yup, works too.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
     
    Els, Aug 21, 2006
    #8
  9. News

    Nije Nego Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:20:14 -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
    > <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
    > (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
    > matter) The extracted image (using ImageMagick's display to grab a
    > section of the screen) is at:
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/brewers.jpg>.


    With Firefox "view page info" I got spacer.gif (1x1px) as well.
    Not that I need it.

    --
    buy, bought, bye
     
    Nije Nego, Aug 21, 2006
    #9
  10. "Nije Nego" <"nije\"nego"@net.hr> wrote in message
    news:76b0jch39n4o.1x04pngq1xl76$...
    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:41:03 GMT, News wrote:
    >
    >> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life
    >> of
    >> me I could not copy the image.

    >
    > If you want to get the images, you should install proper browser (maybe
    > you
    > have already), like Firefox ( http://urlkick.com/338 ) and than right
    > click - view page info - media. You will have everything there.
    >
    >> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers
    >> are
    >> doing?

    >
    > If you want to protect your images - forget about it, it's impossible, you
    > just may hide it from few who do not know how to get it. It's not worth
    > the
    > effort.
    >
    > --
    > buy, bought, bye


    I agree, it's not worth the effort, unless you only want to protect the
    image from the uninformed...

    For One thing, in order for any web page element to be displayed in the
    browser, it first has to downloaded to the visitors hard drive.

    For IE, these images are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
    could be found through a search.
     
    Runnin' on Empty, Aug 21, 2006
    #10

  11. >>
    >>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers
    >>> are
    >>> doing?

    >>
    >> If you want to protect your images - forget about it, it's impossible,
    >> you
    >> just may hide it from few who do not know how to get it. It's not worth
    >> the
    >> effort.
    >>
    >> --
    >> buy, bought, bye

    >
    > I agree, it's not worth the effort, unless you only want to protect the
    > image from the uninformed...
    >
    > For One thing, in order for any web page element to be displayed in the
    > browser, it first has to downloaded to the visitors hard drive.
    >
    > For IE, these images are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder,
    > and could be found through a search.


    rigth - but it is easier of you empty this folder before you view the page.

    >


    I think the original topic was the way that web page tried to protect
    images - and I agree it is not worth the trouble.
    On one site, where I wanted a copy of a friend's baby pictures, I started to
    examine the page source and found a message something like
    'What are you doing looking here? This is copyrighted material'
    That just made me more determined to get the images. Saving them took me
    about 2 minutes more.

    I recall this topic was discussed at length here some time ago. From my
    point of view, it is better to alter the image with copyright information or
    reduce the size/quality to the point that the display image is not worth
    copying.

    Stuart
     
    Stuart Miller, Aug 22, 2006
    #11
  12. Els wrote:
    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> On 2006-08-21, News wrote:
    >>> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
    >>> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    >>> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    >>> image but that is not correct.
    >>>
    >>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    >>> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

    >> Look at the HTML code and the stylesheet.
    >>
    >> If you cannot figure it out, post a URL here.
    >>
    >> One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
    >> <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
    >> (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
    >> matter)

    >
    > It's stuck in a .dll. There are programs to extract (and compile) .dll
    > files.


    Nope is just is just named as a DLL. Rename to 'ViewImage.jpg' and your
    done! The do float a transparent GIF over to fool the novice but the
    bottom line it is not protected!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO

    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 22, 2006
    #12
  13. News

    Els Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >>> One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
    >>> <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
    >>> (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
    >>> matter)

    >>
    >> It's stuck in a .dll. There are programs to extract (and compile) .dll
    >> files.

    >
    > Nope is just is just named as a DLL. Rename to 'ViewImage.jpg' and your
    > done!


    Didn't think of that one - they could have really stuck it in a .dll
    though :)

    > The do float a transparent GIF over to fool the novice but the
    > bottom line it is not protected!


    It never is :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
     
    Els, Aug 22, 2006
    #13
  14. Els wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >>>> One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
    >>>> <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
    >>>> (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
    >>>> matter)
    >>> It's stuck in a .dll. There are programs to extract (and compile) .dll
    >>> files.

    >> Nope is just is just named as a DLL. Rename to 'ViewImage.jpg' and your
    >> done!

    >
    > Didn't think of that one - they could have really stuck it in a .dll
    > though :)
    >
    >> The do float a transparent GIF over to fool the novice but the
    >> bottom line it is not protected!

    >
    > It never is :)
    >


    Obfuscation is pretty effective (like my typing: "The[y] do float...")
    It fools countless every day in email attachments to infect their
    computers!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 22, 2006
    #14
  15. News

    News Guest

    http://www.footprintsphotography.com/index2.php

    There is a site that seems to thwart copying of the image. How was it done?

    Warren

    --

    Totus possum, totum Deum.
    Totus ero, totum meum.
    WSW

    "News" <warren@no_S_P_A_M_wyght.com> wrote in message
    news:zmlGg.12660$Ch.6864@clgrps13...
    > I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life
    > of me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
    > accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
    > image but that is not correct.
    >
    > Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
    > doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    >
    > Totus possum, totum Deum.
    > Totus ero, totum meum.
    > WSW
    >
    >
     
    News, Aug 23, 2006
    #15
  16. News wrote:

    > http://www.footprintsphotography.com/index2.php
    >
    > There is a site that seems to thwart copying of the image. How was it done?


    Looks to me as if all the photos are in a Flash movie. Didn't stop me
    from copying them using SnagIt.

    Considering it *is* a Flash site, it is one of the better ones I've seen
    in a long time.

    BTW, please don't top-post, and move your sig delimiter to the bottom of
    the post. Thanks for your consideration.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 23, 2006
    #16
  17. News

    News Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > News wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.footprintsphotography.com/index2.php
    >>
    >> There is a site that seems to thwart copying of the image. How was
    >> it done?

    >
    > Looks to me as if all the photos are in a Flash movie. Didn't stop me
    > from copying them using SnagIt.
    >
    > Considering it *is* a Flash site, it is one of the better ones I've
    > seen in a long time.
    >
    > BTW, please don't top-post, and move your sig delimiter to the bottom
    > of the post. Thanks for your consideration.


    You are correct about the top-post, sorry about that.

    I tried printscreen and used that it works also.

    Thanks


    --

    Totus possum, totum Deum.
    Totus ero, totum meum.
    WSW
     
    News, Aug 23, 2006
    #17
  18. News

    dorayme Guest

    In article <lu%Gg.15407$365.2222@edtnps89>,
    "News" <warren@no_S_P_A_M_wyght.com> wrote:

    > http://www.footprintsphotography.com/index2.php
    >
    > There is a site that seems to thwart copying of the image. How was it done?
    >
    > Warren


    Not true, I was able to get all the images quickly and easily. I
    simply practiced my timing, (two goes, 6 secs) and screenshot'ed.
    And I am talking getting just the image rectangle. On a Mac, you
    press Command+Shift+4 and you get ready and speedily draw the
    rect and snap!

    [BTW, screen snapping is not something to be sneezed at as some
    low rent way of capturing. I was surprised recently (but not
    flabbergasted) by the way it picks up things that are not
    necessarily evident to the eye on the screen it is snapped at. I
    do design work for printing and use screenshots a lot to show
    clients the artwork (they often have trouble viewing the actual
    Illustrator files...). I picked up a fault in the art work via
    the screenshot recently in a surprising manner:

    Snapped the art layout, I have it in png format at the moment. I
    dragged this png to Fireworks and exported it to a gif (it was
    the most economical format for communication in this instance).
    Low and behold, there was a ghastly rectangular ghost of a pale
    background to one small element in the artwork. I thought I had
    matched that background to that element (a placed pic prepared in
    Photoshop) exactly to the general background but no! On
    re-examining the Illustrator file at great magnification, the
    fault became evident and may have printed as such!]

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2006
    #18
  19. On 2006-08-23, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > News wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.footprintsphotography.com/index2.php
    >>
    >> There is a site that seems to thwart copying of the image. How was it done?

    >
    > Looks to me as if all the photos are in a Flash movie. Didn't stop me
    > from copying them using SnagIt.
    >
    > Considering it *is* a Flash site, it is one of the better ones I've seen
    > in a long time.


    Not bad looking, but the text is too small to read on my screen.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
    ===================================================================
    Author:
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
     
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 24, 2006
    #19
  20. News

    News Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <lu%Gg.15407$365.2222@edtnps89>,
    > "News" <warren@no_S_P_A_M_wyght.com> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.footprintsphotography.com/index2.php
    >>
    >> There is a site that seems to thwart copying of the image. How was
    >> it done?
    >>
    >> Warren

    >
    > Not true, I was able to get all the images quickly and easily. I
    > simply practiced my timing, (two goes, 6 secs) and screenshot'ed.
    > And I am talking getting just the image rectangle. On a Mac, you
    > press Command+Shift+4 and you get ready and speedily draw the
    > rect and snap!
    >
    > [BTW, screen snapping is not something to be sneezed at as some
    > low rent way of capturing. I was surprised recently (but not
    > flabbergasted) by the way it picks up things that are not
    > necessarily evident to the eye on the screen it is snapped at. I
    > do design work for printing and use screenshots a lot to show
    > clients the artwork (they often have trouble viewing the actual
    > Illustrator files...). I picked up a fault in the art work via
    > the screenshot recently in a surprising manner:
    >
    > Snapped the art layout, I have it in png format at the moment. I
    > dragged this png to Fireworks and exported it to a gif (it was
    > the most economical format for communication in this instance).
    > Low and behold, there was a ghastly rectangular ghost of a pale
    > background to one small element in the artwork. I thought I had
    > matched that background to that element (a placed pic prepared in
    > Photoshop) exactly to the general background but no! On
    > re-examining the Illustrator file at great magnification, the
    > fault became evident and may have printed as such!]


    I was sitting here thinking of a way to capture the images that would be
    easy and quick and the screen print button jumped out and hit me. I have not
    used that button for a while but you are right it is fast and easy.

    Have a great day


    --

    Totus possum, totum Deum.
    Totus ero, totum meum.
    WSW
     
    News, Aug 24, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jerry J
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    546
    Jerry J
    Jul 18, 2003
  2. Mike John
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    512
    Mike John
    Jul 28, 2003
  3. Gary B

    Image can't hold an image?

    Gary B, Jul 31, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    350
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD
    Aug 1, 2003
  4. Jim Hammond
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    488
    Oliver
    Nov 13, 2003
  5. Laszlo Zsolt Nagy
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,361
    Kartic
    Jan 26, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page