imagemaps and css

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I've done a bit of googling to see if I can find how to do this...

    Currently, I have a website in design which needs an imagemap. Now, I
    already have a stylesheet setup which loads the background image for me
    via

    background : #dbdbdb
    url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;

    I've defined my image map for this banner.

    As I'm loading in the banner via the stylesheet, I'd like to say which to
    use the map within the stylesheet.

    While there is a map, there isn't a usemap. Do I just swap one for the
    other and have something like

    .... no-repeat map("#logo-map");

    or do I need a separate line which reads

    map : url("#logo-map");

    ?

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    rf Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've done a bit of googling to see if I can find how to do this...
    >
    > Currently, I have a website in design which needs an imagemap. Now, I
    > already have a stylesheet setup which loads the background image for me
    > via
    >
    > background : #dbdbdb
    > url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
    >
    > I've defined my image map for this banner.

    Er, banner? It's a background.

    Image maps don't apply to backgrounds.

    > As I'm loading in the banner via the stylesheet, I'd like to say which to
    > use the map within the stylesheet.

    Hmmm. It's not a banner, it's a background.

    Image maps don't apply to backgrounds

    > While there is a map, there isn't a usemap. Do I just swap one for the
    > other and have something like

    > ... no-repeat map("#logo-map");
    >
    > or do I need a separate line which reads
    >
    > map : url("#logo-map");

    Read this.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#h-13.6

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Paul F. Johnson

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
    <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote:

    : background : #dbdbdb
    : url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
    :
    : I've defined my image map for this banner.

    Wont work. It is a _background_, and will render differently depending on
    resolution.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Hi

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:15:54 +0000, rf wrote:

    > "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> background : #dbdbdb
    >> url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
    >>

    > Er, banner? It's a background.

    D'oh!

    It must be Friday....

    Thanks :)

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Paul F. Johnson

    rf Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
    > <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > : background : #dbdbdb
    > : url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
    > :
    > : I've defined my image map for this banner.
    >

    > Wont work. It is a _background_, and will render differently depending on
    > resolution.

    How so Sid? What does 'resolution' have to do with the rendering of a
    background?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Paul F. Johnson

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:41:52 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    :
    : "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    : news:eek:...
    : > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
    : > <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote:
    : >
    : > : background : #dbdbdb
    : > : url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/images/rn.jpg") no-repeat;
    : > :
    : > : I've defined my image map for this banner.
    : >
    : >
    : > Wont work. It is a _background_, and will render differently depending on
    : > resolution.
    :
    : How so Sid? What does 'resolution' have to do with the rendering of a
    : background?
    :

    If you're on a 640 width, and the image map points to 700,30 e.g.... see ?

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 14, 2003